The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a second lapsteel I've built, a little more ornate from the first one. This build is about 3" deep. The body is mainly clear pine with a 3/4" mahogany top. I hollowed out the neck and the body. The fretboard is alternating maple and purpleheart, 22 1/2" scale. I designed the top loading string thru; didn't have long enough drill bits to do the traditional string thru. The bridge and nut is a very simple purleheart base with a nail body for the string contact. Right now there is a humbucker pickup installed (on hand), but will probably go to a P-90 eventually.
Strung up with D'Addario Chromes, .016 to .056. Nice smooth strings.
Quite and inexpensive build.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, I don't know a darned thing about lap top guitars...but that won't stop me from commenting. I like how you used all the different woods. I was just curious...did you come up with the design or did you borrow from someplace. Also, how does it sound? Are you happy with the outcome?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my design and concept. As for the sound it very subjective, but for me it sounds very nice. I'm quite pleased with the outcome.
love making designer sawdust

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's some pretty nice work. I don't know a heck a lot about Lap Steel guitars but yours makes me want to learn. I think it's pretty cool.
BTW You trapped somebody's soul in the guitar during the build. You can see him trying to get out of the pickup cover.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
No kidding...you should try to get that image imprinted on the pickup cover!

This is inspirational, I've been wanting to build another lapsteel for a while. My last one (hollow maple, cherry cap, DiMarzio pickup etc) was stripped of parts for another project then the remains met a basement flood. Once in a while I string a Telecaster with heavy D'Addario Chromes and raise the nut to play it on my lap, but it's a far cry from a '50s Fender lapsteel I used to have. I've got parts again to build another, so I should get working on it.

I like your design ideas.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Very, very nice. I've had an itch for a lap steel for a couple of years now. I' ve always loved the sounds of David Gilmour playing slide on his Pink Floyd and solo works.

:food-smiley-004:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts