The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group forum for anyone and everyone who likes, plays, owns a Lap Steel Guitar. Post your pictures, ask members questions. Hopefully
we will have some seasoned players who can help new players with tips and tricks they have learned................ This group is for YOU
So POST away and WELCOME!

·
Registered
236 Posts
All this interest in lapsteel all of a sudden(OK, two posts in one day...). I've been tinkering with it for a couple of years and have gathered a collection of 5 lapsteels so far. As I mentioned in the other post today, I've learned a lot from Troy Brenningmeyer's lessons. I'm currently focusing on as much blues as I can find in both C6 and G dobro. Here's a pic with 4 of them.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I once made a Kijiji trip to see a Gretsch, and he also had a Rickenbacher lap steel. I was so intrigued, I went back a month or two later and picked it up. It's apparently 1940's era. I've gigged it a couple of times. Wish I could play better.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Steel guitar -- with or without pedals -- used to be an almost mainstream thing. You could get lessons at the Canadian Conservatory of Music. One of my friends met his wife teaching there. Myself, I took some lap steel lessons from Hank at Blue Note Music in Ottawa on Bank Street. The first song we did was "Harbour Lights." I can still play it in my head though I no longer have my mother-of-toiletseat blue lap steel.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I once made a Kijiji trip to see a Gretsch, and he also had a Rickenbacher lap steel. I was so intrigued, I went back a month or two later and picked it up. It's apparently 1940's era. I've gigged it a couple of times. Wish I could play better.

View attachment 345320
Is it as clean as it looks, like a case queen?

I save this pic for the "guitars I'm trying to play today" threads, it's a '71 Studio Deluxe (I think that means it has legs!!) I also have a 50's Mason in its original case somewhere around here.

View attachment 345355
Bet it sounds purdy good thru that Super.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Old picture when I was trying to learn lap. A Yanuziello on top, and an Asher Ben Harper model on the stand. I only have the Asher now. I never got very good at it but still like to fool around with it sometimes.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Is it as clean as it looks, like a case queen?
It is. The seller believed the tuners to not be original. The only potential issue being held at bay is some rusting where the string ball ends are held. The seller advised a drop of 3-in-1 oil periodically. It hasn't gotten any worse.

If I can find my pics, I'll post them: the lore is that players would fill the lap steel with anything to dampen over tones. In this case, it was newspapers. I have them. It was fun to read the car sales ads. I think they were dated some time in the 50's.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
As mentioned in the slide thread, I recently began taking slide lessons. One of the things that was mentioned to me is that after I get going with it and develop a bit of proficiency I might want to consider lap steel. I loved the idea.

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
When I was still in my teens I saw some lap steels in a thrift store--not sure what brand they were or anything (Not any of he well known brands though)
I wish I'd realized what they were & bought one.

Oh well, one day I'll probably buy one.

And play it badly.

But have fun doing it.

Reactions: Bob Lawrason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I play a '66 National Valco six-string, a '75-ish Guyatone 8 string double neck, and a home-built Belmont Res-O-Glas six-string with a raised nut, generally tuned to C6, C6_A6, and Open E, respectively.

Been at it for 12 years give or take. Difficult to master, but fun to try... View attachment 345920
Very nice rig - we all keep trying tha'ts what's so great about it!

Reactions: eric_b
1 - 20 of 25 Posts