The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Anyone have any experiencve with this Iommi model Laney head.
I have one. My only tube amp at the moment actually. Here's some general comments...

- It's a rather bright amp. Very crunchy. It's voiced a little higher in the upper mids than a Marshall, but it still has a very British feel. It has a lot of bottom end too. Overall the tone is pretty in-your-face, but not in the cold solid state way like Dimebag's tone was.

- TONS of gain. It has more gain than a JCM800 at about noon on the dial.

- The voicing makes it really touchy about speakers. I had an old Marshall cab with G12T75's and it was WAY too harsh. It smokes with V30's though, and I'd imagine it will get along well with G12H30's also.

- The amp is CRAZY loud. If you like peeling paint & killing small animals, this is your amp. But seriously - it is a very loud amp. It probably has a lot to do with the voicing really rather than pure power.

I did swap out the stock tubes. Mine had Ruby ECC83's in the pre & EH EL34L's in the power stage. The Ruby's are VERY noisy. I have GT 12AX7C's in it now and it's a lot quiter and the gain is much smoother. I also replaced the power tubes with GT EL34LS's and I like them better than the old EH's. I'm planning to try 6L6's in the power stage (no re-biasing required...it's switchable) to take some of the edge off and round out the tone a little. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

Overall, I love the amp. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it does that trick REALLY well.

As for dealers in Canada, I know they had distributor issues here for a while but I think that's been ironed out. There is a dealer in St. John's (Music City) but I don't know if they still carry them. I had a friend of mine poking around in Ontario a couple of years ago but he had no luck finding a dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
This was on the Laney site:

Area: CANADA
Distributor: KIEF MUSIC LTD
Address: 13139 80TH AVENUE
SURREY
B.C. V3W 3B1
Tel: 604 590 3711
Fax: 604 590 6999
Email: [email protected]

Though I have seen Laney amps at Songbird in Toronto

·
Registered
698 Posts
iggs said:
You still need to bias the amp for best operation, the switch does not magicaly set the proper cathode current ... :wink:
Yeah - I know. I guess I should have clarified that, huh? :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Robert1950 said:
This was on the Laney site:

Area: CANADA
Distributor: KIEF MUSIC LTD
Address: 13139 80TH AVENUE
SURREY
B.C. V3W 3B1
Tel: 604 590 3711
Fax: 604 590 6999
Email: [email protected]

Though I have seen Laney amps at Songbird in Toronto
I think Keif Music is actually the Canadian distributor as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts