The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a video featuring a guitar constructed by Texas based luthier Jason Simpson. In the luthier's own words, this instrument was inspired by a trip he and his wife made to Ireland in 2012. I find this guitar both visually and sonically stunning. It sold (not to me, unfortunately) for about $22,000.00 U.S. (which is now what....several million Canadian dollars???).
I'm interested in what other folks on this forum think of the Lady Eire guitar.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the question is: would you pay $22,000.00 U.S. for the Lady Eire guitar? My answer is, if I had the money, yes, I'd spend it on an instrument of this quality. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
looks and sounds beautifully, I really like the way how song / guitar was presented.
thanks for the post and info

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
If it was an investment that was sure to go up, yes.

I beat the snot out of my acoustic, so I wouldn't want this in my home. I can't imagine how crazy I'd get over regulating the humidity.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was an investment that was sure to go up, yes.
I beat the snot out of my acoustic, so I wouldn't want this in my home. I can't imagine how crazy I'd get over regulating the humidity.
With the boutique guitar market as saturated as it is nowadays I'm not sure that even an instrument as unique and sonically fabulous as The Lady Eire would necessarily appreciate in value. I certainly agree with your point about regulating the humidity. I keep a humidifier at 40% through the winter where my guitars are stored and still replenish both the case and sound hole dampits religiously every four days. Although none of my guitars cost $22,000.00, four of them are handmade and irreplaceable to me so I get a little crazy about their welfare or as I like to remind everybody, "Guitars are people too!".

looks and sounds beautifully, I really like the way how song / guitar was presented.
thanks for the post and info
I agree. Jason Simpson has a series of videos on youtube chronicling the building of this guitar. The video in the OP is the final instalment of it.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Gorgeous tone!, But i would never spend that much cash unless i was a millionaire

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorgeous tone!, But i would never spend that much cash unless i was a millionaire
So if you were a millionaire, would the Lady Eire guitar be at the top of your acquisition list? If I was to suddenly become a millionaire (you know.....win the lottery) the first things I'd do would be commission guitars from Bruce Petros and our own G.W. Barry.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Beautiful instrument, wow!

If money were no object, absolutely.
Stunning inlay work, I can see the value to an extent.
I also have Celtic roots!

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I said I would never spend that much cash on a guitar. I don't recall saying "Oh Boy I love that guitar I have to get me one".

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said I would never spend that much cash on a guitar. I don't recall saying "Oh Boy I love that guitar I have to get me one".
Understood. I was really just asking how you'd rate the Lady Eire compared to other acoustic guitars you like. Although I think it's a mighty fine instrument, per my previous post, I'd still opt for a Petros or a G.W. Barry instead. Particularly in light of the cost of the Lady Eire.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Question; Do all of Jason Simpson's guitars command that much money? Or did someone just fall head and heels over this exquisite piece of sonic art and want it at any price?

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I'm sure are a lot of luthiers out there making comparable guitars. But at that price I'm not even looking. Sure it sounds amazing but 20k amazing? Not in my books

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question; Do all of Jason Simpson's guitars command that much money? Or did someone just fall head and heels over this exquisite piece of sonic art and want it at any price?
No.The Lady Eire guitar was a special project incorporating a proprietary inlay system Simpson called 3D inlay and the very top grades of Engelmann spruce and Koa. This particular guitar was advertised and sold by Jason Simpson on the Acoustic Guitar Forum for the price I quoted in the OP. Currently Jason is not taking anymore orders so his website is down. You can however follow him on FaceBook at Simpson Guitars.
Here's a link to another one of his guitars that sold for much less at the Guitar Gallery in Nashville (I think).
https://www.gbase.com/gear/simpson-sj-on-sale-brazilian-rosewood

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to follow up on Tarbender's question. There are several boutique luthiers now commanding prices well above $20,000.00 U.S.. Bruce and Matt Petros, Jeff Traugott, Jim Olson, and Kevin Ryan in the States, Michael Greenfield and Grit Laskin here in Canada to name a few. However; the vast majority of boutique builders charge way less. Nor would I make the claim that the priciest guitars are necessarily the best, regardless of whether they are the product of a one person boutique shop or mass produced in a huge factory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oops! I read the price incorrectly in the craigslist add. Checked it out on the Bluedog Guitars website and discovered the cost of that particular Lowden F50 is really the better part of $25,000.00. There does seem to be a growing disconnect between reality and the price of handmade guitars or is it just another case of "this is what the market will bear"?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts