1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently got my hands on a Lado Hawk series. From what I heard here;
Any Lado Owners Out There????
it is a Korean-made line of affordable guitars the Lado Canadian guitar makers made from late 1990's to early 2000's. Since I bought it for peanuts (almost literally), I expected it to be quite shitty. However, after a nice setup of the neck, a string change, intonation and cleanup, it actually sounds and feels very decent. It has surprisingly great sustain, and the neck doesn't feel as cheap as I expected, although it's very flat and large, much like an Ibanez, not really what I'm used to playing.

I wondered if anyone had any more information about it? Or if anyone owned a similar one? What are its specs, pickups, etc? I imagine it's made out of plywood? Also the tremolo arm is missing, I tried to use my Stratocaster's, but it wouldn't fit, any idea for a replacement part?

here are some pictures:
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you play Lado and wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.

I have one of the original Hawks from the early 80s. Its interesting.........

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Lado was an "almost success" guitar company. They're located near my Hometown in Lindsey ON.
They used to sell them in my local guitar shop.
They were dropped after spotty supply from what I remember. But I was only 12/13 when this took place so my memory might not be accurate.

G

·
I used to stop at Joe's shop on Warden Ave when he was in Scarberia (mid 80's).
He concentrated mostly on one-off customs at the time.
There was a lot of beautiful eye candy fer sure!
I actually bought a used Washburn there (which I've since passed on to my nephew).
Looked/felt nice and I wanted something with a Floyd at the time.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
There's one for sale locally that I got to noodle on. It could definitely use one of those 'good set-ups'.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That actually looks really nice. I've seen some pointy Lado's which I want as fond of, but that one is sweet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I'm actually really impressed by the quality of the instrument. Only the tuning pegs leave to be desired, but maybe the tuning instability his something to do with the floating tremolo bridge. I ordered extra springs to install and might just lock it with a block of wood. The pickups actually sound good! Especially in a crunchy amp setting. I opened the neck one to see if I could find any serial number or brand, there's nothing written on it! Any idea what it might be?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I remember going to see Lee Aaron back in the late 80s. Her guitarist had a Lado I think.

Trust me to be looking at the guitarists guitar, when Lee Aaron was on stage....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I recently got my hands on a Lado Hawk series. From what I heard here;
Any Lado Owners Out There????
it is a Korean-made line of affordable guitars the Lado Canadian guitar makers made from late 1990's to early 2000's. Since I bought it for peanuts (almost literally), I expected it to be quite shitty. However, after a nice setup of the neck, a string change, intonation and cleanup, it actually sounds and feels very decent. It has surprisingly great sustain, and the neck doesn't feel as cheap as I expected, although it's very flat and large, much like an Ibanez, not really what I'm used to playing.

I wondered if anyone had any more information about it? Or if anyone owned a similar one? What are its specs, pickups, etc? I imagine it's made out of plywood? Also the tremolo arm is missing, I tried to use my Stratocaster's, but it wouldn't fit, any idea for a replacement part?

here are some pictures:
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers guys!
Hi I remember when Lado was first made in Uxbrige and my friend George Ransanyi learned how to make his guitars there.He has made guitars for our friend like Keith Richards and James Taylor..Here,s just 1 of my old Lado 12 string.not sure how old it is..have had it for along time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I remember when Lado was first made in Uxbrige and my friend George Ransanyi learned how to make his guitars there.He has made guitars for our friend like Keith Richards and James Taylor..Here,s just 1 of my old Lado 12 string.not sure how old it is..have had it for along time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts