The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
wow Lado...my only experience with Lado stuff was back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Mostly quality neck through construction, Canadian co. IIRC
I think they sold to an overseas company,then fell off my radar .
Don't know much about the current/recent past production lines
If they maintained quality then that should be a solid bass.

No idea of pricing.....not much help I guess

*edit* LOL ,that's what happens when you stop mid post to make a coffee.

^these guys are in the know

·
Premium Member
11,134 Posts
wow Lado...my only experience with Lado stuff was back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Mostly quality neck through construction, Canadian co. IIRC
I think they sold to an overseas company,then fell off my radar .
Don't know much about the current/recent past production lines
If they maintained quality then that should be a solid bass.

No idea of pricing.....not much help I guess

*edit* LOL ,that's what happens when you stop mid post to make a coffee.

^these guys are in the know
The Lado Hawk was his private labelled offshore line.
But they were still making good handmade expensive gear in Lindsay up until at least recent years, while also running a luthier school.
But I know Joe was looking to sell the business a few years ago, so not sure where things are at now.

Reactions: KapnKrunch and Bubb

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The Lado Hawk was his private labelled offshore line.
But they were still making good handmade expensive gear in Lindsay up until at least recent years, while also running a luthier school.
But I know Joe was looking to sell the business a few years ago, so not sure where things are at now.
Thanks for that,I'd heard of a luthier school in Lindsay,didn't realize it was him running it.
My stepson and his family were living in the Lindsay area for a few years and I actually toyed with the idea of checking the school out.
Never happened,they moved west,might have been a real good experience.

·
Premium Member
11,134 Posts
Thanks for that,I'd heard of a luthier school in Lindsay,didn't realize it was him running it.
My stepson and his family were living in the Lindsay area for a few years and I actually toyed with the idea of checking the school out.
Never happened,they moved west,might have been a real good experience.
Ya, I actually considered (briefly) buying the business, when Joe told me of his intention to sell. But after giving it the Diablos Den treatment, decided I'm not the right guy for it.
As an owner of a couple Lados, one was custom made for me in the late '80's, I hope the brand continues on in some way, under a luthier as skilled and caring as Joe.at its heyday, it was a great Canadian story.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Definitely buy. For less $$ than many Furutama dreksticks, you get a Canadian, hand-made, neck-through bass with the best quality hardware. Center neck-through wood is hard maple, wings are silver maple. The Standard series of guitars and basses were intended to be Lado's least adorned original creations (my understanding is that one of his employees, not Joe, came up with the design) and are all-business pro gear. I consider it the patriotic duty of every Canadian to own at least one Lado guitar and/or bass. Or substitute for an equivalent Fury, Odyssey, or Olivo (he worked for Lado, I believe, and used Lado designs).

My old, modded Lado Standard guitar - a real road warrior. This picture is the last I ever took of it. It lives now... only in my memories.

·
Premium Member
11,134 Posts
My current Lado - a Lado Condor - looks like these, but in black. The apogee of Joe's perverted genius and truly one of the ugliest electric guitars ever conceived.

Not ugly to me,
It'd be fun to play in a disco band with that. Shining Star all night long, baby!

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Not ugly to me,
It'd be fun to play in a disco band with that. Shining Star all night long, baby!
I embrace and love its hideous nature.
It reminds me of Joe and his winning personality.
My Condor is currently in a pre-restoration state of rest but will rise again.

G

·
My old, modded Lado Standard guitar - a real road warrior. This picture is the last I ever took of it. It lives now... only in my memories.

I had one of these too. In chocolate brown. I gave it to one of my brother's friends because he was just starting out and sounded good on it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts