The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a nylon string guitar. Any one familiar with the La Patrie Concert guitars made by the Godin guitar company? I know they make some very good instruments. I have a Seagull SWS Maritime mini jumbo and it's a great guitar.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
When I was looking for a classical it was between the Concert, Collection and the Hybrid. Personally I found the response of the mahogany Concert to be a bit too flat for my taste and preferred the rosewood back and sides of the other two. In the end I picked up the Hybrid, but all three models seemed to be equal in build quality.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the Etude by La Patrie. Solid guitar for the money and a good option for someone who plays nylon strings only sporadically (like me). If you intend to use this as a principal guitar and play “true” classical music then I am not sure this is for you. Maybe you plan to play folk or indie on a nylon string guitar then it’ll be a good fit.

Try, if you can, the other models as they have many on offer and there might be one you would like better. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Godin's classical guitars have a truss rod, which is a rarity in nylon string instruments. Makes setting them up and choosing different string sets with different tensions much easier. They usually have compensated saddles as well.

The Hybrid model has a radiused fingerboard; again different, as most classical guitars have a flat board.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a classical player by no means. I play finger style on steel string guitars but I think some pieces would sound nicer on a nylon string.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I also have an Etude. Like you, I am primarily a fingerstyle player and have some clssical tunes in my repertoire. Sometimes I just want a guitar with a different voice. I've been very happy with my Etude . I believe the Concert is a step up - I suspect you would be very happy with it.

What really sold me on the LaPatrie versus other brands were the fret markers on the side of the fingerboard - I find that they make it much easier for me to make the transition from my usual 14 frets to 12.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I bought the newer version of the Concert with the new headstock shape after comparing it to a few rosewood models. I've owned several rosewood classicals (La Patrie Collection, Takamine, Yamaha) and a couple of other La Patrie models. This Concert model is a lovely guitar, nice looks, feel, tone, playability, balance. It seems to prefer hard tension strings, but I always think that about classical guitars.

Highly recommended...but always play a few examples of a model before you decide.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I could find an A&L Nylon Ami Cedar used, I'd be all over it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts