The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with having their guitars set up in the Hamilton, Kitchener area Long & McQuade stores?
Bought a new guitar from them and can have a free setup done within a year at any one of their locations. Wondering if there are any recommends for one store over another to have it done.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Do any of these stores have a repair department?? Example: Oshawa. They had a fellow who was really good guitar tech, could do refrets etc. Here in Edmonton , at Whyte Ave, they just have staff who are trained to do basic setups, adjustments, etc. I'd phone to see what services they have at those particular stores.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
If it is the free set-up, it will likely be done by the store staff who is trained to do basic set-ups. I'd just make sure they understand exactly how you want it set up and you can check the set up afterwards, free or not. Good customer service is going that extra little bit for you.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
If you have a free setup coming you have nothing to lose, except some time. If they do a good job, great. If not, well, then you find a good guitar tech.

P

·
0 Posts
If you have a free setup coming you have nothing to lose, except some time. If they do a good job, great. If not, well, then you find a good guitar tech.
Actually they could do some damage to your guitar. So you do have lots to lose. I wouldn't let just any hack behind a counter mess with my guitars.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Anyone had any experience with having their guitars set up in the Hamilton, Kitchener area Long & McQuade stores?
Bought a new guitar from them and can have a free setup done within a year at any one of their locations. Wondering if there are any recommends for one store over another to have it done.

I've only ever had work done at the Brampton store. But their tech is a friend of mine and I won't let anyone else work on my gear.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Wrong. If the store has a guitar tech, they are the ones who will do the free setup.
Not Wrong. At smaller stores, like the Whyte Ave in Edmonton, they do not have a guitar tech on staff. It id done by trained staff. If it requires more than a basic. The the tech comes by a couple days a week and or it is sent to the larger store where they have a repair shop. The staff at the Whyte store have done basic setups on two of my guitars - no problems. For bigger jobs I go to the luthiers at The Acoustic Guitar Shop.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Actually they could do some damage to your guitar. So you do have lots to lose. I wouldn't let just any hack behind a counter mess with my guitars.
I have had no problem for basic setups done by store staff so far. For more than that, I go to the Luthiers at The Acoustic Guitar Shop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have only had the guitar for a couple of days and need for adjustment is minimal. Action is set very low and there is some slight occasional buzzing on the lower strings (especially the 5th) if I pick a bit hard. Probably a small tweak to the left on the truss rod would give it enough relief to resolve the issue. I have just been reluctant to do that until everything gets settled and broken in, just in case it might improve on it's own. Also if there is a serious issue, I would need to return to where I bought it and didn't want to have them say that I did it.
I am a bit fearful that a store set up might cause more problems than they solve. Hence, I was hoping someone that has used the setup service in the various nearby L&M stores might give me a recommendation of which one to go to.
Thank you for your comments people. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Not Wrong. At smaller stores, like the Whyte Ave in Edmonton, they do not have a guitar tech on staff. It id done by trained staff. If it requires more than a basic. The the tech comes by a couple days a week and or it is sent to the larger store where they have a repair shop. The staff at the Whyte store have done basic setups on two of my guitars - no problems. For bigger jobs I go to the luthiers at The Acoustic Guitar Shop.

I said, if the store has a guitar tech.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
And my closet store doesn't have a guitar tech.

You're original comment was "If it is the free set-up, it will likely be done by the store staff who is trained to do basic set-ups." So you were claiming that free setups would be done by store staff, not techs. I explained that your claim was wrong, and that if a store has a tech they will do the setup whether it is free or not. Your original comment had nothing to do with the size of the store and was wrong.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Edmonton vs GTA!! McDavid DESTROYS Matthews!

:D

Anyway, yeah...L&M do have techs at certain locations, if not most. To the OP, IMO it's really hit and miss at L&M. I've taken my LP to a number of local locations here in Edmonton with extremely varying results. I tend towards the smaller outfits, but in your case considering the guitar is new with a free setup, you ask a very relevant question. Hope some out your way can answer here. Otherwise go to the store and ask the staff who the main tech is in town. L&M on Whyte here did what they could for me and when they couldn't resolve it, sent me to the Downtown location. So I guess even if they don't set it up right for you, I'll assume that if you're unhappy with the initial setup they would (should) allow to take it to an alternate location for what you want. Do you have more than 1 shop in town?....I'm not familiar with your area. I see TO is about a 45 minute drive, but surely you guys have a number of stores in and around your area.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts