1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Axe Facebook page...

Important Company Announcement***

Saying goodbye is always sad.

I want to say goodbye to our company, staff, suppliers and customers. It is never easy to part but I have to face reality. It’s time for me to move on.

For the last 38 years Axe has been my life, and an amazing life it’s been. I reflect in awe and great pride upon all of the great things we have achieved together. Axe’s success from a small garage with a dirt floor to what it is today, is a testimony to every single person in the company and to the greatest customers that we could ever hope for. I have an immense feeling of thanks and gratitude for all of those have supported my many crazy ideas over the years and my drive to make AXE the best.

Making the decision to sell the company to L&M as of May 31st was the hardest choice I have had to make. But I am confident that it’s the best choice, I have admiration for L&M as an organization and I leave knowing that you will all be in very good hands. Rick Shermack the Edmonton store manager and most of our terrific team which I consider family will be staying on to continue to help and serve you. The Calgary store will be closed as planned. Brian Cymbaluk, Sherry, my son Alan and I will be moving on.

Business will continue as normal Until L&M takes over on June 1st. New gear is flowing in everyday and we are working hard on ordering in all of the new 2018 stock that was just announced at the NAMM show. You will see a wave of Orange tag items in the Edmonton store that we want to move out as we know that L&M won’t want them, so a lot of great stuff is on sale right now for you to look over as I do my spring cleaning a little early this year.

I cannot say thanks enough to each and every one of you who supported us over the years, Axe would of never existed without you. I have come to know many of you not only as customers but also as friends and I will always smile as I reflect back upon the crazy events over the years like the street hockey, hot tubs & handing out beers and burgers in front of the Edmonton store during oilers playoffs. Customers coming in with cigars or jelly beans after they had a new child. The epic store opening events. The containers of Axe Jackets. The many amazing Axetremefest shows. The list of memories is long and great.

Beyond just growing the business over the years your support has allowed us to help hundreds of charity’s in the province which was something I considered extra special.

They say “A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams”. So far I have very few regrets and as I am about to turn 60 I have decided it’s time to chase new dreams while I can.

I’m ready for a new challenge. I’ll be treating myself to a sabbatical, including some extended trips with my wife. Then we’ll see what is next 

As I leave. I want to personally thank you for all of your amazing support.

I was 22 years old when Axe was created, it’s hard to believe the years have passed so fast. Many of us have grown old together and it’s been fantastic to help you and even your kids as they grew. Yes some of us are getting old, I never thought that would happen.

However when I look back I see, a time I would of never imagined, a time well spent, a time with few regrets… a happy time!

It’s been a pleasure to work with everyone, I will miss you all dearly and I hope that our paths cross again in the future.

It’s a bittersweet moment for me. I have tears in my eyes as I think of what I am leaving but I know this has to be done to allow me to chase my dreams. As I often say “one life time is just not enough” so make sure to live life to its fullest.

I love you all and Thank you all for everything.

Brian Holowaychuk President Axe Music

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I've been in Edmonton for almost three years, but I have never been to the store here.

As to who is left, how is Stang doing??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Who else is there?
well Bill - There's still Stang, Acoustic Music, Myhers, Innovations , West End Rock Shop, St. Johns , Giovannis ( who L & M bought their building last year -hmmm). PLus Turner in Leduc and Sherwood Park Music . all the folks offer something to the local scene but each is a small player compared to the L&M and AXE machines i think.

I don't know Brian at AXE but did deal Darryl ( his brother) and Rick Shermack at the store. Hard working guys, all of them .

·
Registered
495 Posts
It was a sad day when L&M bought Ostanek's (yep, that Ostanek) in St Catharines. They've done a good job, and from what I can see, most of the employees were kept, but there were certain things an independent could carry that a chain is not allowed, or don't care to.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
The thing is, there are already 4 L&M locations in Edmonton. There are ~8 stores in the GTA with a population over 6m. What are the chances for another in the Greater Edmonton Area with a population well under 25% of that?

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Yeah, likely one will go. I've heard Whyte Ave rumoured more than once. North and South are new, they'll stay. Downtown has to be expensive real estate, maybe make Axe the new Downtown?

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
The thing is, there are already 4 L&M locations in Edmonton. There are ~8 stores in the GTA with a population over 6m. What are the chances for another in the Greater Edmonton Area with a population well under 25% of that?
they’ll probably shut it down, don’t see the need for a fifth L&M. Axe looked like they weren’t doing super well but I don’t know that for fact. I’m pretty sure the PA rental side left and became Production World a while ago

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Pretty soon there won't be any competition for L&M in Canada.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Yeah, likely one will go. I've heard Whyte Ave rumoured more than once. North and South are new, they'll stay. Downtown has to be expensive real estate, maybe make Axe the new Downtown?
L&M Whyte is only 3 blocks away. I'd be pissed if they shut that one down. Most of the long time staff know my name. The Downtown store is only a stadiums length from the Rogers Centre. That part of the city seems to be only place where real estate is worth a lot. Relocating to the Axe property does seem to make sense if it has more value and is accessible. I'v never been to the that location so I am guessing

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That is a very well written statement. Inevitable it would happen, I feel one day L&M will be a monopoly, they aren't quite there yet.
I've often wondered if L & M will be bought out.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
There was a news report on TV about this today. Reported that most employees will be kept on and something about a new building in 2019.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
they can buy up all the competition stores but will still have to worry about online dealers, possibly the way of the future as serious alternatives to the brick and mortar
At least L&M is Canadian.

I guess the market in Canada isn't large for players like guitar center or sweetwater to set up shop here.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
At least L&M is Canadian.

I guess the market in Canada isn't large for players like guitar center or sweetwater to set up shop here.
don’t get me wrong, I like L&M and I’d like to see them succeed and offer us consumers more and better service as they grow. online should hopefully keep them in check

1 - 20 of 37 Posts