21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
God the sales in Winnipeg are weak.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Keep in mind most of this is their used or demo inventory that they haven't been able to move. Last year I recall this Gibson ES-339 that was "on sale" and it had been hanging on their wall for 4 years - for good reason. I tried out that guitar and it was a total dog. This is basically Jack's Attic sale v2.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has anyone ever been to one of these sales at L&M before? Is it complete pandemonium like you see in the States, with people crashing doors and beating each other with merchandise? :) I can see the headlines now: "Man hospitalized after being struck with Les Paul during Black Friday riot." I assume this would also have to be carefully managed with COVID and all...
Depending on the store, there’s usually a lineup in advance, but not massive. 45 minutes will probably get you to the front of the line. I had a kind (and bored during Covid) family member go for me - they went an hour early to be safe. They were front of the line. It was orderly going in. And they got the big deal I was hoping to get.

I will note that usually the big deals have some significant flaws. The ES335 I grabbed has a crack that I’m getting repaired. I also saw an amazing deal on a JHS Angry Charlie a few years ago that was seriously scratched and dinged. However, the pedal sounded great. As does my ES335. Just don’t expect any case queens for the mega deals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kanata has a Taylor 714ce for $1600. I’m a big fan of their Grand Auditorium body shape. Very good guitar for strumming and picking, so competitive with a more traditional OM. I think Taylors get really good at the 800 level (especially the new voicing), but this is a good price for the 700 level, which are also very good guitars.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Has anyone ever been to one of these sales at L&M before? Is it complete pandemonium like you see in the States, with people crashing doors and beating each other with merchandise? :) I can see the headlines now: "Man hospitalized after being struck with Les Paul during Black Friday riot." I assume this would also have to be carefully managed with COVID and all...
My only experience with lining up is at the Markham store. You have to get there pretty early to be first and they will usually set aside one item for each of the first five (maybe ten?) people in line. About an hour (maybe less) before opening they start giving numbers to the first 20 people so you can wait in your car. And they let those first twenty in in order with a bit of space between each. A few years ago two of us reached for the same guitar at the same time - we compared numbers and I was something like 16 and he was a few numbers higher, so he let me take it - pretty civilized. (And I love that guitar!) If I'm going to line up, I try to get there 35 minutes ahead of time which usually gets me in the first twenty, or close. Most years I just arrive about 25 minutes after opening and the worst of the rush is over but there are usually a few odds and ends that are priced right for me - these days I'm mostly looking for PA, mics, and lighting.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Kanata has a Taylor 714ce for $1600. I’m a big fan of their Grand Auditorium body shape. Very good guitar for strumming and picking, so competitive with a more traditional OM. I think Taylors get really good at the 800 level (especially the new voicing), but this is a good price for the 700 level, which are also very good guitars.
That's a really great deal. The Winnipeg store has a 314ce advertised for $1999. The 714 is a massive step up.

Reactions: Jalexander

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's a fantastic deal. The Grand Auditorium is a great size. I used to have a 314ce, but found it a little too big. So I sold it and got a 412ce instead. But the Grand Auditorium size (or Taylor x14 size) should be good for most people.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My only experience with lining up is at the Markham store. You have to get there pretty early to be first and they will usually set aside one item for each of the first five (maybe ten?) people in line. About an hour (maybe less) before opening they start giving numbers to the first 20 people so you can wait in your car. And they let those first twenty in in order with a bit of space between each. A few years ago two of us reached for the same guitar at the same time - we compared numbers and I was something like 16 and he was a few numbers higher, so he let me take it - pretty civilized
That is actually quite civilized. Hopefully they do this at every store. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,762 Posts
no interest if its only onsite. Im not going to drive an hour to line up for an hour to try and buy the one thing I want, that someone already bought and will have it on kijiji for $500 more by end of day.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts