The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musician

Pay no attention to the ‘61Junior from @fogdart !!…

This post is about the “looker” to the left. I’ve had a bizzillion old and new Gretsches. As we know, the old ones tended to be put together with, as my pal @rustycaster says: “spit and popsicle sticks”. But they can be great! I’ve owned a couple of Masterbuilt Gretsches that were killer - a white Billy Bo that I believe @davetcan still covets and a couple of others.
What we have here is a Terada made, Champagne Sparkle (my favourite colour- I had a 50s drum kit in the same sparkle finish) ‘62 Sparkle Jet Limited Run (FSR - or factory special run). To me, a Gretsch must have a Bigsby - that’s the whole package.
Anyway, I bought this from L&M a couple of weeks ago. There were a half dozen “in the system” and I had the lightest one brought in to Bloor Street from Kingston. 7.5lbs - chambered.
Anyway, this guitar is extraordinary! The TV Jones “Ray Butts” pickups will peel paint, shatter glass, and yet still sound like the best Filtertron you’ve ever heard - and I’ve heard a few! 😁 playability is perfect - as you would expect from Gretsch in Japan.
I went to tape the bridge with thin carpet tape… and, unbeknownst to me, it was pinned, but rather than fixed, there was front to back slot to allow intonation to be set. So I taped it in the “sweet spot”. Intonation is perfect. As an aside, I am a stickler for good intonation and it surprises me … but often, bridges that just run a straight angled line, or old 3 saddle Teles for that matter, seem to intonate the best - go figure! The guitar also plays in tune with the Bigsby wanking…
Anyway, this guitar is a sweet ride… and if you’re a fan, there are several more at L&M across the country. $3799. I thought that was fair considering what these sell for in USA.
Just my 2 cents on a guitar that has me “chuffed” (look it up!) 😁👍

·
Registered
218 Posts
What a stunner and those Ray Butts filters are the cream of the crop. I’m also a huge fan of the double cut Gretsches. I think they look better than the iconic 50s single cuts. And that colour is magnificent.

I’d recommend a Truarc bridge. An easy drop-in reversible mod under $200. I picked one upon Kijiji for $100 not too long ago.
I also find the Chet arm more comfortable for my Bigsbys.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
They’ve had one of those at my local L&M for a long time now. If it were a single-cut, I’d likely have done something about it by now.

Reactions: bluehugh2

·
Registered
149 Posts
That colour is one of my absolute favs (I'm of the school that loves "burgundy mist" from Fender, too). Classy and flashy at the same time, in my humble opinion. Nice guitar!

Reactions: bluehugh2

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
That colour is one of my absolute favs (I'm of the school that loves "burgundy mist" from Fender, too). Classy and flashy at the same time, in my humble opinion. Nice guitar!
Burgundy Mist or even better, a Gibson in Heather Poly…

·
Registered
What, they are not art?
5 Posts
while not my thing, I am knocked out by some of the overseas stuff Gretsch is producing, like the Streamliner humbucker and p90, put me in coach

·
Registered
632 Posts
A Champagne Sparkle round badge kit is my dream kit. Spreading finishes between different instrument lines is a neat idea. Didn’t a guitar company own the Rogers name for bit? What I wouldn’t give for a Mardi Gras confetti finish on a guitar. All that to say: beautiful guitar!

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
Membranophone Drum Idiophone Musical instrument Drumhead

Love a Gretsch sparkle. I'm not sure I could accept some other brand's sparkle.
(FWIW, this cheap mahogany snare is superb.)

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
View attachment 397509

This post is about the “looker” to the left. I’ve had a bizzillion old and new Gretsches. As we know, the old ones tended to be put together with, as my pal @rustycaster says: “spit and popsicle sticks”. But they can be great! I’ve owned a couple of Masterbuilt Gretsches that were killer - a white Billy Bo that I believe @davetcan still covets and a couple of others.
What we have here is a Terada made, Champagne Sparkle (my favourite colour- I had a 50s drum kit in the same sparkle finish) ‘62 Sparkle Jet Limited Run (FSR - or factory special run). To me, a Gretsch must have a Bigsby - that’s the whole package.
Anyway, I bought this from L&M a couple of weeks ago. There were a half dozen “in the system” and I had the lightest one brought in to Bloor Street from Kingston. 7.5lbs - chambered.
Anyway, this guitar is extraordinary! The TV Jones “Ray Butts” pickups will peel paint, shatter glass, and yet still sound like the best Filtertron you’ve ever heard - and I’ve heard a few! 😁 playability is perfect - as you would expect from Gretsch in Japan.
I went to tape the bridge with thin carpet tape… and, unbeknownst to me, it was pinned, but rather than fixed, there was front to back slot to allow intonation to be set. So I taped it in the “sweet spot”. Intonation is perfect. As an aside, I am a stickler for good intonation and it surprises me … but often, bridges that just run a straight angled line, or old 3 saddle Teles for that matter, seem to intonate the best - go figure! The guitar also plays in tune with the Bigsby wanking…
Anyway, this guitar is a sweet ride… and if you’re a fan, there are several more at L&M across the country. $3799. I thought that was fair considering what these sell for in USA.
I really enjoy sparkles.

·
Registered
469 Posts
They’ve had one of those at my local L&M for a long time now. If it were a single-cut, I’d likely have done something about it by now.
Scott, I thought the same way about single versus double cut Gretsch Jets until I tried an Electromatic Double Jet recently. It's very easy to get to the high notes and it was a very comfortable guitar strapped on and sitting. My next guitar will be a Jade Grey G5222 Double Jet.

That's a killer looking Champagne Jet, BTW. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Gretsch uses the coolest finishes and colours. I was telling a singer friend how I wanted an orange Gretsch. She said "Orange?" with a wrinkled face. I showed her a pic and she was like "ooohhh".

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
View attachment 397509

Damn, that’s nice. I shall be watching the for sale ads. :p

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I would like to think I’ll be keeping this one… but 2 points … 1. I always say that 2. I am not a young man! 😁

1 - 20 of 21 Posts