Moratto jet clone 12 watts. Amazing amp
30 watt Bernie clone 2x10” Moratto animal. MV and effects loop. Another killer
1958 Ampeg m-12.
Southboots brown 1961 deluxe clone.

I don’t have a small tube combo - hmmmm

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I've been eyeing these for a long time and I finally pulled the trigger. the wait begins!
Nice! Any idea how much you'll have to pay at customs?

When I go through the checkout my total with shipping (DHL is the cheapest for me) comes to $202 USD...so $262 CDN but that doesn't include taxes or any customs so I'm curious about what the final, all-in, cost should be.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Any idea how much you'll have to pay at customs?

When I go through the checkout my total with shipping (DHL is the cheapest for me) comes to $202 USD...so $262 CDN but that doesn't include taxes or any customs so I'm curious about what the final, all-in, cost should be.
I ordered a tuner pedal from them and there was no duty....I'm hoping there won't be this time either. My total price was the same.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I haven’t shopped on monoprice in ages...shipping always killed the deal. But this is tempting even though I don’t need it.

P

·
0 Posts
I haven’t shopped on monoprice in ages...shipping always killed the deal. But this is tempting even though I don’t need it.
I don't think so. These amps have the tube sockets soldered right into the boards. It is a circuit board tube amp for close to $310 with tax. Then how much are the brokerage fees going to be? You can get an old Traynor or Garnet for close to that if you look around. But I would still like to have one... or at least try one first.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I don't think so. These amps have the tube sockets soldered right into the boards. It is a circuit board tube amp for close to $310 with tax. Then how much are the brokerage fees going to be? You can get an old Traynor or Garnet for close to that if you look around. But I would still like to have one... or at least try one first.
You’re prob right, although the reviews for it are quite good.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yep. You can get 70s Traynor heads for 250-400 pretty steadily. Pepco heads even cheaper.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Really? I haven't seen an old Traynor head for less than $500 for a long time.
Me neither. Toronto area anyway. I bet further away $300 is doable.

Traynor is good stuff.
I see them around 400 in Halifax all the time. Theres one in a non-original head cab for 250 right now.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
You can by a vintage Traynor YGM-3 for under $400. You will see them listed for much more but they never move. I have trouble selling one last year for $350! It sold, but not the second it hit Kijiji.

The monoprice may sound pretty good, but it's not going to last and won't be worth repairing.

TG

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Not that I'm prepared to vigorously defend the Monoprice... it's an econo amp, it's presumably from China, and it doesn't come with any 'pre-installed mojo'... But I bought it the last time it was on sale and had it shipped to my place in Florida. It was $150 USD/$200 CAD roughly. For that price, it's a great deal. I wanted a reliable practice amp that I can leave out & lend out. I have a Traynor YGL reissue also & it's crazy heavy to hump around, so I keep it (the Traynor) in the basement at home for practice there & I've had it out for a few gigs too. For my purposes, I'm not sure a vintage Traynor would be a reasonable alternative to the Monoprice. Right now my Monoprice is at a friend's house and I haven't had it home for weeks, yet, when I go over, all I need to do is plug in and play, it hasn't given me any grief at all. It sounds pretty good with the Celestion speaker and it's loud enough to play over drums in a small rehearsal setting.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I get your point. It's not so much that we/I brought up the Traynor as a direct replacement, but more to prevent people from making an impulse buy based on the mistaken idea that "where else can you get a tube amp for $XXX?!).

BTW, replace the speaker in your reissue. Given that the stock speaker (Marsland) was always the weak point of their vintage amps, it is sadly ironic that Traynor once again choose a poor speaker for the RI.

Not that I'm prepared to vigorously defend the Monoprice... it's an econo amp, it's presumably from China, and it doesn't come with any 'pre-installed mojo'... But I bought it the last time it was on sale and had it shipped to my place in Florida. It was $150 USD/$200 CAD roughly. For that price, it's a great deal. I wanted a reliable practice amp that I can leave out & lend out. I have a Traynor YGL reissue also & it's crazy heavy to hump around, so I keep it (the Traynor) in the basement at home for practice there & I've had it out for a few gigs too. For my purposes, I'm not sure a vintage Traynor would be a reasonable alternative to the Monoprice. Right now my Monoprice is at a friend's house and I haven't had it home for weeks, yet, when I go over, all I need to do is plug in and play, it hasn't given me any grief at all. It sounds pretty good with the Celestion speaker and it's loud enough to play over drums in a small rehearsal setting.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Apparently not, from an owner on the Strat forum:
"The tube sockets mount to the chassis, with their pins extending to the board, as opposed to the much less desirable method of just soldering the sockets to the board and making it support the tubes."
Pretty good for the $ actually, the Blues Juniors sockets are mounted to the board.
It is a circuit board amp but most mass-produced amps are.
I paid $262 with shipping and tax.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The amp came in today. Fortunately I didn't have to pay any brokerage fees. $262 CDN total.
It was well packed, seems well put together and it has a nice leather handle. Most important of all to me, it weighs 25lbs.
I can't really give an informed opinion on its sound until I use it on a gig, especially since I live in an apartment.
At low volume it sounds all right clean, doesn't have a lot of bass which I expected. I am using my Epiphone SG because I'm doing some work on my Strat, it's not my favourite guitar for clean sounds. The reverb seems to disappear a bit as you use more gain but it sounds pretty good. Not as good as the reverb in my HRDLX. It has a lot of gain, you can get a nice smooth sustaining sound at really low volume using the 1 watt switch. It should be great for home recording. The power switch is actually just attenuation, from what I understand. I'm really looking forward to taking it out somewhere where I can open it up. I have an old Fane speaker I might try in it but I'm going to see how I like the stock one first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts