The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since i played my traynor ycv 80 and at moderate volumes 5 on channel and 5 on master, it rattles as much as the volume. Before i tighten everything on the amp, whats are problem rattle areas to address first?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Its been a while since i played my traynor ycv 80 and at moderate volumes 5 on channel and 5 on master, it rattles as much as the volume. Before i tighten everything on the amp, whats are problem rattle areas to address first?
Geez BP, it could be a lot of things!

Does it sound like it's coming out of the speaker, or is something in the cabinet mechanically rattling?

If it's coming out of the speaker I would take a pencil or something and gently tap each tube to see if it's microphonic, or vibration sensitive. If it is, change it!

If it's mechanical then it could be a seam letting go from old glue along a side or top. Or maybe a loose speaker bolt, or who knows what! You'll have to have a buddy grab and squeeze stuff inside the amp while you play the amp and see if he can damp it out. That will tell you where its coming from...

Sure glad it's you and not me! I hate those kind of problems.:mad:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Whoa::
maybe I'm way out of line here but I thought I read "tubes" and later "play the amp and have a buddy feel around inside the amp".
Maybe I misread or am uniformed but the notion of me personally putting my hand inside an operating tube amp scares the whatname out of me.
cheers
RIFF WRATH

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
maybe I'm way out of line here but I thought I read "tubes" and later "play the amp and have a buddy feel around inside the amp".
Maybe I misread or am uniformed but the notion of me personally putting my hand inside an operating tube amp scares the whatname out of me.
cheers
RIFF WRATH
Thats why you get the buddy to do the feeling around :D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
cheers
RIFF WRATH
I gotta remember to drink the coffee first and THEN type!:smile:

By amp I was referring to inside the cabinet of a combo. I did not mean to open up the amp chassis and poke your fingers inside! I should have been more clear.

In the usual combo where the amp hangs upside down in the cabinet and the speaker is mounted below it there is no danger of shock. No manufacturer worth his salt ever puts high voltages outside of the chassis on bare wires or connection points. Any inspector would beat the tar outta him for such a bonehead design. Any boutique guy who evaded inspectors would soon be sued unto his next incarnation if a customer was harmed.

In a combo style amp vibrations from the speaker are far stronger on the tubes and innards of the amp.

The only scary part of tapping tubes with an insulated tool like a plastic rod is that tubes are hot, especially power tubes! You could get a nasty burn if you're not careful. Other than that...no worries, mate!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Watch out for old fenders too, I've seen a few that were missing the cap cover (how the hell do you loose those, I've got an amp on my bench right now missing one), so all those nice caps and their voltages were exposed.

As Tarbender said, as long as you know cpr and it's your buddy poking around...no problem...:D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It's all your fault, BobbyPols!

Whenever I see the header for your thread it starts up for hours.

Instead of "Kill the Rattle" what keeps running through my brain is:

"Kill the Wabbit!":eek:

All I know about opera came from Warner Bros...

:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.