The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted a couple things on Kijiji. Small amp got a trade offer in minutes. Edited my ad to say no trades. This was not surprise. Last year some offered me some prime weed for a trade.

The second was in camera gear. I still have three film cameras, so I listed one with two lenses. Got a response in 15 minutes. Settled on a priced. Then he asked for PayPal information (Danger, Will Robinson. Danger !!) I asked if he lived in Edmonton. He said, no, USA. Uuuuuuhh yeah, Edited my ad. Local sale, Cash only, No trades.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
He will probably use a fake PayPal account or a stolen account to pay for the item. If the transaction goes through you get charged for fraud because you took money from the wrong person and you will never ever find the buyer.

So Robert sells his camera gear to Mr X. Mr X. Pays with Joe's stolen PayPal info. Robert receives money and ships the item. Joe calls PayPal and is like Wtf? I didn't buy anything. Oh but Robert got the money. Robert is on the hook. He loses his item to the thief and loses the money to pay back Joe's PayPal account.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
He will probably use a fake PayPal account or a stolen account to pay for the item. If the transaction goes through you get charged for fraud because you took money from the wrong person and you will never ever find the buyer.

So Robert sells his camera gear to Mr X. Mr X. Pays with Joe's stolen PayPal info. Robert receives money and ships the item. Joe calls PayPal and is like Wtf? I didn't buy anything. Oh but Robert got the money. Robert is on the hook. He loses his item to the thief and loses the money to pay back Joe's PayPal account.
There's a trick to keep everyone safe - negotiate a price and then put the item up on ebay or reverb with that as the BIN and specific shipping costs to that particular person. That way ebay or Reverb take the hit in case of fraud (also less likely because ebay and reverb accounts linked to paypal and thief may not have both paypal and auction site account credentials; cannot create a new account linked to same paypal).

I have done just this when contacted by a guy from Seattle about a mixer I was having trouble selling locally.

Reactions: gtrguy

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I think you guys are paranoid. I've done literally thousands of PayPal transactions without issue both buying and selling, many times for amounts in the multi thousands of dollars. Follow some simple rules and you won't have issues.

-Ship to PayPal confirmed addresses with tracking.

-Don't let the buyer pick up or otherwise arrange the shipping.

-Never use the "friends and family" option to avoid fees otherwise you as a seller lose the protections you would otherwise have.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Posted a couple things on Kijiji. Small amp got a trade offer in minutes. Edited my ad to say no trades. This was not surprise. Last year some offer me some prime weed for a trade.

The second was in camera gear. I still have three film cameras, so I listed one with two lenses. Got a response in 15 minutes. Settle on a priced. Then he asked for PayPal information (Danger, Will Robinson. Danger !!) I asked if he lived in Edmonton. He said, no, USA. Uuuuuuhh yeah, Edited my ad. Local sale, Cash only, No trades.
Thanks. Tips noted !

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Reactions: gtrguy

·
Registered
11,269 Posts
PayPal works for me but if they insist on electronic transfer of funds and you want guarantees, use IEMT. I send and receive this way with Kij, more people are open to it than I first thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts