The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So an item on Kijiji caught my eye but price was a bit high for me (although a "fair but high price" for what it was). I noticed a few days later he dropped the price (not absurdly low, but into "good deal" territory) so I felt I had to act on it, I offered him slightly less than the new asking price, and the seller agreed to it. In the midst of back and forth about payment method and pickup, he suddenly says sorry it was already sold for full price... I was a bit ticked, but was over it fairly quickly.

Then I notice a couple days later the ad is still up, but asking price is higher again. I had my buddy msg him to ask if still available (sneaky move but whatever), and my buddy was told yes it was still available.

So I message him back asking if the deal fell through, he responds saying yes deal fell through, I'm next in line if I want it. So I say great will meet you with the cash (no longer trusting him for e-transfer). He says sorry for the confusion I can't let it go for that (the price he agreed to earlier). I pointed out we already agreed to that price earlier, to no effect. So I begrudgingly agreed to a new price below his new/original asking price but higher than the asking price he had it lowered to on the day I first responded.

This is all too bad cuz he seems like a nice guy otherwise... I don't have the item yet but hoping to met up today.

Not sure what I can do about it besides giving him a low rating (if Kijiji even lets me give him a rating).

Welcome to Kijiji!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Rule #1 the seller is not as motivated to accommodate a lower offer as the lower offer’er is to save money.

So one may have to get their ass in their car and drive to their discount fast or take a risk and send him an advance to take the ad down.

If the ad is still listed, someone willing pay asking may come along and scoop it before you have a chance to cash in on your deal.

You can give him a bad review.
without knowing the details of the situation I don’t want to comment on wether that’s warranted because those details would offer me a clearer picture over who is being the asshole in the situation.

But I will offer you my sympathy as a forum member and assume that you were being reasonable and that he didn’t handle that in as much of an up front manner as he could have.

I’ve been on both ends of this situation and always assume that things are not going to fare well for me which helps me avoid buying and selling as much as possible especially when I don’t have leverage.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Guy in Regina with a 2004 Les Paul Classic for sale wouldnt sell it me after i asked him if he was a member of MLP or GC.
Fed me a story about not wanting to ship it (ad said he would ship because he has a box) his "buddy" had one shipped from out east and it showed up cracked and he's really pissed.
I expained to him i wasnt too concerned about that happening. Yet he just refused to reply to any further inquiries. WTF kijiji.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Kijiji is what it is. Always will be. Not much sense complaining about it.
I have had far better luck selling on Kijiji than I've had here. I don't buy as much on Kijiji as I sell on it but the times I have its been a good experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess everyone has different attitudes towards buying/selling used gear. For some its a more of a hustle than it is to others... money is money I guess.
I just want to play the gear now lol... rant over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always figure the deal will fall through until I have the item in the car. And if I'm getting a super deal I get there ASAP to avoid these situation.
Yes would have gone that day, but got the bad news within 1/2hr of what I thought was a settled deal. I'm not a "super user" of kijiji, I'm always browsing but probably sold 3 things and bought 2 in the last 4 years...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that was me, I wouldn't bother buying it. I just get so annoyed when people back out of the deal. Even if it still is a good deal, I just walk away from it.
Yes normally this would be my attitude as well, but I got sucked in by a) the item is rare, esp in good condition and b) I had one years ago, sold it back when I was a broke college student, and have regretted it ever since

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
If that was me, I wouldn't bother buying it. I just get so annoyed when people back out of the deal. Even if it still is a good deal, I just walk away from it.
Yup. Its tempting to agree to the highest price and tell him you're on your way and then go dark.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Yes normally this would be my attitude as well, but I got sucked in by a) the item is rare, esp in good condition and b) I had one years ago, sold it back when I was a broke college student, and have regretted it ever since
I can understand that, for sure.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I always figure the deal will fall through until I have the item in the car. And if I'm getting a super deal I get there ASAP to avoid these situation.
Me too, I missed out on a 53 Hofner 456/7 for $400 because of snow a few weeks ago. If I make a deal for a sale price, and someone offers more, I tell them next in line and give the original person the allotted time to come and close the deal.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Rare and in good condition and you want it
I think you should've bought it at his asking price, and maybe haggled in person at pickup IF there was significant undisclosed damage. If no damage, then pay the man.
I've bought things at asking that someone else offered $50 less for but the seller wouldn't budge. In my logic, I got it over someone else for $50, which is cheap compared to not having it.

I've also had things sold after I agreed to buy it, and set up a pickup time because the seller couldn't meet when I could. I text at the agreed to time the next morning that I'm coming over, and the jerk says sorry sold last night.
Yet I've had other people hold things a week for me.

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
I wouldnt leave a bad review.
The way I see it, until cash is exchanged, nothing is firm. It goes both ways. As a seller, i've lost track of the number of times a buyer said they "will take it", then i never hear from them again, or they admit another deal happened that they are going through instead. Buyers work with multiple sellers, sellers work with multiple buyers, there are no real obligations until money changes hands.

When his deal fell through and you reached out again, you incorrectly assumed your old deal was still valid (should have said "...well I'm still interested at our previous price of x...". Your original deal was not valid for him, that was 2 deals ago with some price moves in between, and you had re-inquired about it at his new price (which he likely assumed you were now willing to pay)
So at that point a new deal needed to be struck, which you eventually did, therefore, no reason for a bad review.

personally, I wouldnt chase a seller that much unless the item was really rare or still a great deal (unlikely to be both lol), in which case, the seller has more leverage than you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A bummer for sure on how the deal went but ultimately it's up to the seller to sell how they want to and it's up to the buyer to buy how they want to. That's just the Kijiji experience in general. I wouldn't necessarily leave a negative review as ultimately it's up to you to go through with the deal regardless of their terms. Most people aren't businesses or in the business of selling so you can't really expect "customer service" when it comes to these deals. I'd generally only give negative reviews if they lied or mislead me about the item I bought or they were super sketch and tried to scam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure what happened was: he put item up at x price. No serious inquiries... He lowered price, I msgd him... and in the stages of finalizing things, he may have been getting flooded with responses due to the new lower price. So he backed out and price went back up due to the seemingly new demand. He made up a strange excuse (rather than straight up say sorry but I was wrong to drop the price) now realizing he could get more money than he had just agreed to. Yes maybe this doesn't warrant a one-star review, he seems like a nice guy otherwise at least (not sure if that matters but I do appreciate friendly lingo and quick responses)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a seller, I have had countless people back out. The most recent issue was a guy say yes he wanted it 100% and to remove the add. We arrange a pickup time...all the covid stuff and all, directions...only to back out a few hours later. In my opinion, nothing is a done deal until the money is in your hands or the item is in your hands...not meant to be idea...Time to move on ...another deal will present it self I have found.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I've also had things sold after I agreed to buy it, and set up a pickup time because the seller couldn't meet when I could. I text at the agreed to time the next morning that I'm coming over, and the jerk says sorry sold last night.
Yet I've had other people hold things a week for me.

I absolutely will not hold anything on kijiji, not even for a day. Too many no shows.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I'm pretty sure what happened was: he put item up at x price. No serious inquiries... He lowered price, I msgd him... and in the stages of finalizing things, he may have been getting flooded with responses due to the new lower price. So he backed out and price went back up due to the seemingly new demand. He made up a strange excuse (rather than straight up say sorry but I was wrong to drop the price) now realizing he could get more money than he had just agreed to. Yes maybe this doesn't warrant a one-star review, he seems like a nice guy otherwise at least (not sure if that matters but I do appreciate friendly lingo and quick responses)
I think you're right, he suddenly got lots of offers.

Markets are strange!
If I ask $1250 for a guitar no one will reply...
if I ask $1150 I'm flooded with "I'll be there in 20 minutes"
Yet if I ask $1500 I can get offers for $1300.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts