The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding that I check the local Kijiji too many times every day! It is like window shopping...LOL Ironically, I hate shopping in general apart from music related stores or if I need to buy something specific (clothing, hardware, etc). OOPS..I forgot to include shopping at the LCBO for wine.

I only check the musical instruments section (thank goodness) and only the K-W area, Guelph and Brantford.

I really should be putting my time to better use...like posting on this forum.

To be fair, I have bought a few items from Kijiji somewhat recently, including my electric guitar and a couple of old Yamaha acoustics.

Anyone else here spending any time on Kijiji??

OK...Time to "fess up"!

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
“Hi, my names Bzrkrage, and I’m a Jiji-addict”
“It’s been 3 minutes since my last look at the musical instruments in Calgary.”

Oh,& I’m selling so I look at my email too much as well!
What part of “price firm, any lower & I’ll keep it my self, no trades please. “ means offer me 1/2 the price?!?

Sent from my other brain.

·
Premium Member
28,370 Posts
I check many times a day. It's not the checking that's a problem, but rather the buying. I have three things that keep me on the straigt and narrow:

1) I don't have a cellphone, such that my ability to respond in a timely manner is hampered. Quite often, others beat me to the punch. Yesterday I missed out on a great guitar synth I would have liked to have, for peanuts.

2) I generally set a limit of $50 for commiting to purchase. I don't lowball anyone. I just try to restrict myself to things that are inexpensive. That shortens the list of temptations quite a bit. Still, you'd be surprised at what you can get for peanuts. Yesterday, I might have missed out on a guitar synth, but I picked up a MIDI-to-CV convertor for $20, that I hope to use with my Casio MIDI guitar and some analog modular units I'm working on.

3) A hobby friend of mine passed away 7 years ago, who was an avid collector of synth and guitar things, and an electronics hobbyist. I've been helping his widow sell off his collection, bit by bit (the Casio guitar was from his collection). Despite being at it for several years, her basement is still pretty full of his stuff. A person could reconstruct a circa-1990 Radio Shack in its entirety fro the stuff still in boxes down there. As my wife likes to tell me, "She has you to know the value of things and who would want them. If something were to happen to you, I wouldn't have anybody." That knowledge keeps my urges in check. Still, I had to move about 8 guitar bodies out of the way today to free up space for a sliding shelf my son wants to build in the garage.

·
Premium Member
19,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Despite being at it for several years, her basement is still pretty full of his stuff. A person could reconstruct a circa-1990 Radio Shack in its entirety fro the stuff still in boxes down there.
WOW! that is an amazing amount of stuff!!
I tend towards being a minimalist, so that would "do me in"...LOL

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Not really an addict. I used to look up Kijiji in my area and on my path to Montreal the weeks before I would go, in case I would find a great guitar at a steal price... and I did find five. I honestly have to say I finally sold four of these after playing them a while : All in all, did not make money, nor did I loose. My intent was really to find good guitars (not buy and sell to make money), but then I found better ones to replace them.
I still get a look once in a while (well I should by now !) for great acoustics that could suit me or find gifts for relatives.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Yep, guilty. I am always looking for something for our family or friends in need so for me its a great place to shop. On the other hand i try to not post anything on Kijiji for obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I am less concerned about Kijiji because the high ratio of idiots luckily keeps Kijiji purchasing somewhat constrained. I am more concerned with this forum, actually. And with good relationships I’ve made with good traders everywhere.

For example, I just managed to pick up an amp that I’ve been bugging a great guy that I originally met through Kijiji to sell me for literally a bit over 3 years. He finally caved. I have the amp now, it is absolutely awesome, but I needed another amp like I needed another hole in my head. Ugh.

I think I am going to leave a couple of likes here and say nothing more in shame ...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I generally set a limit of $50 for commiting to purchase.
For me, if it's less than half of new, I have a real hard time staying away. Things that were never on my radar are suddenly researched like they were a possible cure to cancer. The possibility of buying it often makes me miserable and I'm glad when it gets scooped up by someone else. But I still keep checking and I try to keep to things that are truly on my want list. A recent want-list score on Ottawa Kijiji: an EHX Super Pulsar (the big box one) for asking price of $120! It's awesome!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I am finding that I check the local Kijiji too many times every day! It is like window shopping...LOL Ironically, I hate shopping in general apart from music related stores or if I need to buy something specific (clothing, hardware, etc). OOPS..I forgot to include shopping at the LCBO for wine.

I only check the musical instruments section (thank goodness) and only the K-W area, Guelph and Brantford.

To be fair, I have bought a few items from Kijiji somewhat recently, including my electric guitar and a couple of old Yamaha acoustics.

OK...Time to "fess up"!
I do a combination of email alerts and alerts in the app.

I rarely browse it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks but even for a great deal i wont use Facebook. LOL. Damn that is a good price though I have not demoed that one.. (no effects loop boo).

I am sure come post Xmas people will sadly be looking at their bills and going oops I overspent.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

OK...Time to "fess up"!

Bingo..on the number right here...i dont have a lot of money so, i justify it by hoping that i can get a 'score'

I will also note that i can be guilty of offering way less than ask...you never know the persons circumstances...and have saved a bundle on numerous occassions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.