The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an old DJ disco light in Jiji.
Guy send a message “
Hello you still have your light for sale Please call or text me at xxx-xxxx”

So I text, no answer.

What’s the scam on this? Why do they want my phone number ?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
better question, how do you get letters in your phone number? i want that

i wonder if anyone chose their phone number based on the sound the button makes.

3212333, 233, 399, 3212333322321

no i'm not stoned.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
better question, how do you get letters in your phone number? i want that

i wonder if anyone chose their phone number based on the sound the button makes.

3212333, 233, 399, 3212333322321

no i'm not stoned.
Mike, in NOT going to put “Jim”,s phone number up here for everyone to see, just in case HE was scammed & had his number ....whatever’d.
But you ar right. I’d love the Imperial march phone number......

Reactions: 10409

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
Maybe they just decided that they didn't want it any more?

On another note, I've been wondering about something and posted about it in the main Kijiji thread:

I have an amp on Craigslist and Kijiji and I immediately received one of the scam emails saying they are happy with the item, that they will have their shipping agent pick it up, and that they will pay extra for whatever reason (they were, of course, told to go fuck themselves).

Now I know how the scam works - you send the item to them and the money order they give you is worthless - but since they are having the item picked up and shipped to them wouldn't it be easy as hell for the cops to catch them? All they would have to do is check the delivery address and go arrest whoever received the merchandise. If I am correct in that, why would anyone bother attempting this scam?

·
Read Only
0 Posts

On another note, I've been wondering about something and posted about it in the main Kijiji thread:

I have an amp on Craigslist and Kijiji and I immediately received one of the scam emails saying they are happy with the item, that they will have their shipping agent pick it up, and that they will pay extra for whatever reason (they were, of course, told to go fuck themselves).

Now I know how the scam works - you send the item to them and the money order they give you is worthless - but since they are having the item picked up and shipped to them wouldn't it be easy as hell for the cops to catch them? All they would have to do is check the delivery address and go arrest whoever received the merchandise. If I am correct in that, why would anyone bother attempting this scam?
I actually had a friend follow through with one of these guys because he wanted to see where the scam came into play. As long as you're not shipping before you're getting paid whats the worst that could happen?

he got a "cheque" in the mail a week later for about 3x the amount of his item. swiftly followed up by them asking him to deposit the cheque and etransfer back the extra to avoid the delay of sending a new cheque or <insert excuse here>

you'd have to be a complete idiot to think the cheque, which was "issued" from the hudson bay company and clearly printed on a low grade printer, was real. but it probably works more often than you'd think.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
G

·
swiftly followed up by them asking him to deposit the cheque and etransfer back the extra to avoid the delay of sending a new cheque or <insert excuse here>
I would respond with 'patience buddy, not until the bank clears the check'. ;)
or ask them for their address to send your check to them (similarly bogus).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I’ve noticed a couple of suspicious ads on Kijiji, they include the name and location, something like "Posted by Maria in buy and sell, musical instruments in Manitoba, Winnipeg, April 1, 2018"

I would be interested to know what that leads to.

...OK it's not in the title, it's in the body. Here's one, not in musical instruments.

"Posted by jasmine in phones, cell phone accessories in Manitoba, Winnipeg. March 25, 2018"

Iphone 8 case | Cell Phone Accessories | Winnipeg | Kijiji

If you google it, Jasmine's been posting shit all over the country. And Maria and Monica, too.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Akijiji.ca+%22posted+by+jasmine+in%22&oq=site%3Akijiji.ca+%22posted+by+jasmine+in%22

·
Registered
329 Posts
A scam Warning to all.......
Messages are being sent to cell # posing as Royal Bank Canada (RBC).
The scam notifies customers their bank cards have been locked and immediate attention required, they provide a link and they ask for your Password.
Its very well designed all RBC bank cards have this generic number, so unsuspecting persons are unaware!
Just remember NO BANK will ever text message you!!!
If you received this fake link warning on your cell phone, I urge you to go to your bank immediately and change all your banking information. The customer service reps are excellent in assisting you!!

BE CAREFUL!!... Fraud is getting extremely sophisticated.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

That's not the scam. They pay you with a stolen paypal account. You have no recourse because the company that picks up your item does not give you the shipping address. You get charged with fraud and they get the item for free. It's a lot easier for the cops to blame you than to find the original scammer. The shipping address on the stolen paypal account is not the address the shipping company is using.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
So, I have an old DJ disco light in Jiji.
Guy send a message “
Hello you still have your light for sale Please call or text me at xxx-xxxx”

So I text, no answer.

What’s the scam on this? Why do they want my phone number ?
If you were local to me, and got me on the right day I’d prob buy it. Impulse buys are my drug.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Actually, Norm, banks very commonly text their customers these days. All the more reason to be vigilant about what you click or how you respond.
A quote from BMO....
"No legitimate financial institution will ever ask for your private banking information over text or email."

Perhaps, I should have been more specific!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.