The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I guess its a good vetting question as to whether or not he will continue to ask you questions about the history of the guitar that you may or may not know. Is it so hard to respond "No, I've had it for 5 years", or "yes I'm the original owner. Whatever his reasons are for wanting to know if your the original owner or not I don't see that as an unreasonable request of info.
I guess. Maybe I'm just cranky after looking at the flat-earth thread. :LOL:

...and I did respond politely (as I always do).

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
HOLY CRAP!! I got another today. I have a pair of bike carriers for roof racks. Universal mount. I just got asked if I'd take less than asking. I agreed. He then asks if I can help install them to be sure they work. Ummmmmmmmm, no, that's your job to research these beforehand. Can you wait while we install them then? Ummmmmm, no, I don't have time for you to install them. Thanks for your time.

WOW. OKAY. THANKS.

WTF is wrong with people?!? It's not myjob for you to find out it will work before you buy it/them. That's YOUR responsibility to ensure you know what YOU are buying. HOLY FUCK!!! People are really expecting flaming hoops that explode to be jumped through for a 2nd hand purchase. /rant

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
HOLY CRAP!! I got another today. I have a pair of bike carriers for roof racks. Universal mount. I just got asked if I'd take less than asking. I agreed. He then asks if I can help install them to be sure they work. Ummmmmmmmm, no, that's your job to research these beforehand. Can you wait while we install them then? Ummmmmm, no, I don't have time for you to install them. Thanks for your time.

WOW. OKAY. THANKS.

WTF is wrong with people?!? It's not myjob for you to find out it will work before you buy it/them. That's YOUR responsibility to ensure you know what YOU are buying. HOLY FUCK!!! People are really expecting flaming hoops that explode to be jumped through for a 2nd hand purchase. /rant

And even if you did wait for him to finish installing, what your supposed to take them back if they don't work out for him? Its fucken Kijiji not best buy.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I know right!?! His reply "wow okay thanks" says everything about him. He apparently expects people to do his requests in order to make the sale. WTF?!? I am more amazed that he actually asked me to help install them BEFORE he buys them, than asking me to wait. Seriously??!! Just wow.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I know right!?! His reply "wow okay thanks" says everything about him. He apparently expects people to do his requests in order to make the sale. WTF?!? I am more amazed that he actually asked me to help install them BEFORE he buys them, than asking me to wait. Seriously??!! Just wow.
For more money. Installation is extra. Pay first, if they don't work then you get refund.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I was ready to quote him my hourly rate of pay at work, and tell him that is being put onto his "negotiated" price. Nowhere in my ad does it state installation is included with purchase. I honestly didn't want to get into the discussion about paying first. I can imagine where that is going right away. I can't believe the gall some people actually have. UNREAL!

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
Plus you never know if the guy that asks for half is willing to pay the ask. I have negotiated and then after being turned down payed the ask...
I have literally never had that happen before.
you are a unicorn. Careful not to give away too many of your tactics here, in case you decide to buy something on this site.

if I get a 50% off offer, I’ll either ignore it (I don’t care about my reply rate, just my feedback which is perfect) or say “we’re too far apart, sorry.”, or “price is firm”.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nope. We had agreed to a price. Then someone else came in and offered asking, after the agreement.

I don't like that. When I agree to sell something to someone for an agreed upon price, it is theirs unless they tell me different.

I will admit that some people might find my ideas about honour old fashioned, but they have served me well.
Here's my somewhat similar experience, not on Kijiji, but AutoTrader.
I had been looking for several months for a particular model of car which was quite rare in Canada, in a narrow range of years, and wanted something pristine and low-mileage.
Found one from a private seller on AutoTrader that seemed perfect--right colour, right condition, not too far away (couple of hours), really low mileage. Price was not trivial (in the $50K range), but if it was as good as it looked, not totally outrageous.
Drove to the big city to see it, and it was indeed perfect. Couldn't have been better. Practically a museum piece, a true unicorn.
I told him I'd buy it at his asking price subject to spousal approval (which I was pretty sure I could get even though this one was over my intended budget), and we shook hands on the deal.
Significantly, I did not leave him a deposit nor write up an agreement of purchase and sale. Suspect I should have. Hindsight's great, isn't it?
I got the spousal approval I expected, and phoned him to say the deal was definitely on.
A couple of days went by, and it became apparent that something was fishy. He seemed to be completely clueless about how to go about selling a used car. I gave him a list of things he needed to do, and the steps needed to complete the transaction.
The next morning I got an email saying he had received an offer $3K higher than mine (and higher than his asking price), and if I wanted to ante up another $3K, the car was mine.
I thought long and hard about this, and eventually figured that if I gave in to his demand, I'd likely receive yet another email just like the last one.
So I very reluctantly pulled the plug, telling him goodbye and I hoped he'd enjoy his extra $3K in the knowledge that he had screwed me. I told him that, to me, a handshake constituted a commitment, and him not honouring that was deplorable.
Never heard from him again.
The car disappeared from AutoTrader but reappeared a couple of weeks later, same seller, with a price much higher than his original ask. Makes me think the other buyer was a total fabrication.
I never did find out what happened to the car after that. To this day I wonder if I did the right thing because the car was so perfect.
Shortly after this deal fell apart I found another one, not nearly as perfect, but certainly good enough for what I wanted, and for a lot less money. I still have that car today and am quite happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
You did the right thing. Even if you hadn’t found the second car, rewarding shitty behaviour on his part is completely unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Im curious what % of asking price would be considered lowballing?
That would depend on how realistic the asking price is.
And how you go about it.

I've sent messages saying your price is fair, but I have this much to spend, so if you are in a hurry or have difficulty selling I'm here for you. Not those words exactly, but once in a while I'll get a message a week or so later asking if I'm still interested. I have only done this for items that I have an interest in, but no real need - most of the time I offer full asking if the price is fair.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Here's my somewhat similar experience, not on Kijiji, but AutoTrader.
I had been looking for several months for a particular model of car which was quite rare in Canada, in a narrow range of years, and wanted something pristine and low-mileage.
Found one from a private seller on AutoTrader that seemed perfect--right colour, right condition, not too far away (couple of hours), really low mileage. Price was not trivial (in the $50K range), but if it was as good as it looked, not totally outrageous.
Drove to the big city to see it, and it was indeed perfect. Couldn't have been better. Practically a museum piece, a true unicorn.
I told him I'd buy it at his asking price subject to spousal approval (which I was pretty sure I could get even though this one was over my intended budget), and we shook hands on the deal.
Significantly, I did not leave him a deposit nor write up an agreement of purchase and sale. Suspect I should have. Hindsight's great, isn't it?
I got the spousal approval I expected, and phoned him to say the deal was definitely on.
A couple of days went by, and it became apparent that something was fishy. He seemed to be completely clueless about how to go about selling a used car. I gave him a list of things he needed to do, and the steps needed to complete the transaction.
The next morning I got an email saying he had received an offer $3K higher than mine (and higher than his asking price), and if I wanted to ante up another $3K, the car was mine.
I thought long and hard about this, and eventually figured that if I gave in to his demand, I'd likely receive yet another email just like the last one.
So I very reluctantly pulled the plug, telling him goodbye and I hoped he'd enjoy his extra $3K in the knowledge that he had screwed me. I told him that, to me, a handshake constituted a commitment, and him not honouring that was deplorable.
Never heard from him again.
The car disappeared from AutoTrader but reappeared a couple of weeks later, same seller, with a price much higher than his original ask. Makes me think the other buyer was a total fabrication.
I never did find out what happened to the car after that. To this day I wonder if I did the right thing because the car was so perfect.
Shortly after this deal fell apart I found another one, not nearly as perfect, but certainly good enough for what I wanted, and for a lot less money. I still have that car today and am quite happy with it.
Well now you have me curious about what type of car it was.....:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd rank that (OP) exchange mildly irritating at best. Just say no. Only 2 characters + send. Repeat as needed.

Side question: does it help to state FIRM on price? I'd think you'd get lowball offers anyway. I used to say OBO, but I stopped doing that. OBO is kinda stating the obvious, plus I've come to find that sometimes I'll get my full asking price with no negotiation at all.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
The OP enjoys drama rather than ignoring or just replying once, is my take. I ain't got time for that, personally.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The OP enjoys drama rather than ignoring or just replying once, is my take. I ain't got time for that, personally.
M'eh... Sometimes I got time for that.

Reactions: weener
61 - 76 of 76 Posts