The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

Premium Member
Plus you never know if the guy that asks for half is willing to pay the ask. I have negotiated and then after being turned down payed the ask...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
He said $60 was what he had. He was prepared to pay no more. He started at half. There was no intention to pay full. He was told $80........
If someone asked me for half the price I would reply with double the price and lol.
I've done this a couple times with problematic people during negotiations.

Premium Member
He said $60 was what he had. He was prepared to pay no more. He started at half. There was no intention to pay full. He was told $80........

I've done this a couple times with problematic people during negotiations.
People say all types of things during a negotiation.

Registered
What gets me is when you agree on the price, but the seller gets another higher offer and sells out from under you. Greatly annoys me every time.

Registered
What gets me is when you agree on the price, but the seller gets another higher offer and sells out from under you. Greatly annoys me every time.
Makes sense to me if the seller does that. You weren鈥檛 willing to pay the asking price.

Registered
Unless you mean you agreed to pay the asking price and they got a higher offer鈥
Nope. We had agreed to a price. Then someone else came in and offered asking, after the agreement.

I don't like that. When I agree to sell something to someone for an agreed upon price, it is theirs unless they tell me different.

I will admit that some people might find my ideas about honour old fashioned, but they have served me well.

Registered
Nope. We had agreed to a price. Then someone else came in and offered asking, after the agreement.

I don't like that. When I agree to sell something to someone for an agreed upon price, it is theirs unless they tell me different.

I will admit that some people might find my ideas about honour old fashioned, but they have served me well.

I don't know that its served you that well. It sounds like you've sold stuff for less than what you could have got while missing out on something you didn't offer quite enough for.

Premium Member
Makes sense to me if the seller does that. You weren鈥檛 willing to pay the asking price.
He said they agreed upon a price. Negotiations are closed at that point as long as the buyer shows up within the agreed timeframe, otherwise we call it an auction.

Premium Member
Identifiers of serious Kijiji buyers:

"Whats your best price?"
"Where are you located?"
"Hi, I'm interested is this still available?" <- or whatever the prewritten Kijiji response is.

Registered
I don't know that its served you that well. It sounds like you've sold stuff for less than what you could have got while missing out on something you didn't offer quite enough for.
Honour is more important to me than getting or saving 25 bucks. Not saying I am better than anyone else, it's just how I'm wired.

But don't get me wrong: I looooove a good bargain -- another key part of my wiring harness.

Registered
I had a pretty successful purge last year, but this time around, I ended up blocking a couple of users.

One was an obvious scam artist out of Montreal, another tried haggle money off a firm price for an amp.

Amp was like new and almost half of what it would cost new.
First he wanted cash knocked off, then wanted cash off for lack of a footswitch.
Again, one of those guys with "that's all the cash that I have". Well, have a good day.

Another offered almost half of what I was asking for a guitar, so I countered with $100 over what I was asking.
End of messages with that goon. It was a rough go on a lot of deals this go around.

Premium Member
I have a guitar on kijiji right now that's almost 30 years old. Got the question "Are you the original owner?"

What fucking difference does that make?

Registered
I am getting ready to sell a couple of things, so girding my loins, best that I can. I am not looking forward to it.

In fact, the more I think about it, the less I want the hassle (not to mention potential COVID infection).

Premium Member
Maybe it鈥檚 because I鈥檓 self employed and I periodically have to deal with people asking silly questions or asking for a deal, but honestly, I didn鈥檛 really see anything block worthy there. Generally speaking, as long as someone is polite, which he was IMO, then I try to be polite back, especially over a text conversation because you can roll your eyes all you want without them seeing.
Politeness isn't just a matter of syntax but also of content (tact). Coming in with a 50% of ask offer when something is already reasonably priced is rude as %#@! and not a genius negotiating tactic. Though I will give him credit for trying to do that before agreeing to meet up.

I agree though, when someone's not overtly rude it's best not to be either.

Registered
I have a guitar on kijiji right now that's almost 30 years old. Got the question "Are you the original owner?"

What fucking difference does that make?
I guess its a good vetting question as to whether or not he will continue to ask you questions about the history of the guitar that you may or may not know. Is it so hard to respond "No, I've had it for 5 years", or "yes I'm the original owner. Whatever his reasons are for wanting to know if your the original owner or not I don't see that as an unreasonable request of info.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts