The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am not sure if you're envisioning him rating you without buying it or not, but I believe that was how the ratings worked in the past, which was really crappy. I believe now the seller has to confirm to whom the item ended up being sold to and then both confirmed buyer and seller can rate each other. It's a much better system.

BTW, curiosity got the best of me and I saw the ad. If you want to avoid such instances, I would recommend just saying "price is firm" instead of "lowballing will be ignored." It's more true to what is going on. You didn't ignore the lowballer, and it looks like you want $80. So just be explicit about it and perhaps you can truly ignore all the crappy kijijidiots in the future.
Has the rating system changed? I have a memory of being asked to rate the “interaction” with a prospective buyer, even though they never bought it.

Also, as for the OP, now that they've added “fair negotiation“ to the rating criteria, you kind of have to price above what you want and then come down, if you care about your rating. Pretty annoying, IMO.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"fair negotiation" is pretty broad interpretation. Seller be damned these days.

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
My sympathies.

I'm not nostalgic for small town newspaper classifieds...yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You're more patient than I am - I would have stopped responding at "40 both". I have not posted musical instruments on Kijiji in years, long before the rating system was implemented. I would always provide ridiculous amounts of details and photos, and always advertise my rock-bottom firm price and "no trades". I'd basically ignore any message that wasn't "where/when can I check it out". I suppose if I did that today, my reply rate would be in the toilet. I did manage to get a 5-star review for a transaction as a buyer and left the same for the seller. I don't think the rating system takes Kijidiots into account.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Related to the OP, I had a possible buyer who annoyed me so much in the first two messages. I was determined to not sell to him. Also checked and he had low ratings and a few saying he was a jerk. He was ready to pay full price but I didn't care; I immediately couldn't stand him.

I was wondering if he could give me a low rating based on just the messaging interaction, but it sounds like now you can only rate people you bought from or sold to?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I've had two bad reviews left for me on Kijiji due to buyers being morons. And unfortunately, there's no way of properly dealing with it on Kijiji.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There is no way to argue the review is based on the reviewer was just being resentful? I may start keeping screen caps of all messages that are not going in a normal progression just in case of having to argue a review.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
There is no way to argue the review is based on the reviewer was just being resentful? I may start keeping screen caps of all messages that are not going in a normal progression just in case of having to argue a review.
The first one was back before you had to complete a transaction. I was interested in trading guitars with someone in TO (I'm in NS) He started acting sketchy and messaged me from three different accounts trying to get a better price/ trade deal. I decided not to complete the deal based on my being pretty sure I'd never see the one I was trading for. He left a review saying I'd pulled out of the deal.
The second was more recently when I sold a pair of speakers. One was torn, but repaired. Both worked well enough that I didn't even realize there was a repair until I decided to put my Vintage 30's in the cab. Someone bought them. Didn't like the tone. Did not ask for a refund (he would have gotten it if he had) and left a review saying they weren't as described. I contacted Kijiji on both occasions. The first time they said they'd get back to me (they didn't) The second time I got no response. lol

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Related to the OP, I had a possible buyer who annoyed me so much in the first two messages. I was determined to not sell to him. Also checked and he had low ratings and a few saying he was a jerk. He was ready to pay full price but I didn't care; I immediately couldn't stand him.

I was wondering if he could give me a low rating based on just the messaging interaction, but it sounds like now you can only rate people you bought from or sold to?
Pretty certain the review process happens only after a sale is completed.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
I also would be polite but firm in corresponding with kijidiots to keep my response rate at 100%.
Things have changed though it seems.
Font Rectangle Circle Logo Brand

Reactions: Always12AM

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not a Kijiji spring chicken. I always look at this "box" when dealing with anybody. It can make a difference in how I feel about how things will likely go.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Screenshot

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Ya I have bought & sold a ton on kijiji and while generally successful with both buying (more) and selling (less) I seem to have developed a keen nose for a-holes right up front...either that or the fact I'm an a-hole too makes them easier to recognize haha! Generally, with kijiji and its pre-canned inquiries that tire kickers can use, like "Is this item still available?" or "Is this your best price?" etc etc, I simply ignore those. If one of those peeps is really interested they'll eventually take the 5 seconds to write their own genuine inquiry at which point I'll usually respond. Same with buying...I always write a personal inquiry, and can tell right away if I can work with the seller...the good ones reply promptly and courteously, the a-holes don't, which makes separating the wheat from the chaff easy. But yes, it gets very tiring when half the text in your ad is conditions like NO TRADES, NO LOWBALLERS etc etc yet 90% of the inquiries ask about trades or offer 20% of asking. This crap comes with the territory I guess but it gets demoralizing after awhile when you see how many idiots are out there.

The last couple of years I've slowed way down on the selling thanks to being much less reckless with purchases, only buying crap I really need/want ;)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
An adolescent male in 2021 can thrive without being literate or employed. We created this society of incompetent young people.

They take their CERB cheque and buy a PlayStation 5 and a case of monster energy drinks and CBD edibles then figure “guess I’ll jump on kijiji afterwards to broker a deal where I receive 85% discounts with my remaining free money”.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts