The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of brand new unused commuter type tires I am selling for a buddy who doesn't do dealings very well. He asked me to put them up for him since I do more sales and dealings in general than he does. First thing this morning, it began...............and ended with me blocking somebody I just didn't want to deal with anymore on a Sunday morning before my first coffee is even done. I know some here have dealt with worse, but this is one of the more annoying guys I've had. Selling anything should never have to be a "I need an entire bottle of wine to clear this guy outta my head!!!" situation. First damned thing this morning. UGH!!!!
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electronic device
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software
Rectangle Font Screenshot Electric blue Parallel

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I admit, I practiced some restraint. Thought about being the a-hole, but decided to go above that. I can't imagine what he'd have been like in person. I was pretty sure if he'd agreed to the asking price, he'd then ask for delivery, then end up NOT having the $80 and offering me less at meeting. I've never blocked anybody on Kijiji before today, but I'm now finally tired of this crap on 9 out 10 ads.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Maybe it’s because I’m self employed and I periodically have to deal with people asking silly questions or asking for a deal, but honestly, I didn’t really see anything block worthy there. Generally speaking, as long as someone is polite, which he was IMO, then I try to be polite back, especially over a text conversation because you can roll your eyes all you want without them seeing.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, but I don't want him dropping my rating because I didn't give him the price he wanted. It was the asking for a discount like it was his prerogative. Starting out at exactly 50% of asking started it downhill for me. Something I've never done, and never will.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I've sold new and used cars for 35 years and those are two fairly normal conversations.

What I've learned is not to take it personally. It's just the way some people feel they need to do it.

I wouldn't block them but if $80 is what you have to have then stick to it. They'll either pay the price or go away.

Or you could just block them! :D

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did unblock him to see if he'd come back and agree to asking. I just got to my tipping point with the 50% offer people. This guy was the one who had me get to that point. Next time I get one of these people, I'll just delete the first message. Even though I do try letting people know that I won't ship, deliver, trade, and will not tolerate lowball offers, I get exactly that. It's like a defiance attitude in the faceless people and their online presence.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree, but I don't want him dropping my rating because I didn't give him the price he wanted
I am not sure if you're envisioning him rating you without buying it or not, but I believe that was how the ratings worked in the past, which was really crappy. I believe now the seller has to confirm to whom the item ended up being sold to and then both confirmed buyer and seller can rate each other. It's a much better system.

BTW, curiosity got the best of me and I saw the ad. If you want to avoid such instances, I would recommend just saying "price is firm" instead of "lowballing will be ignored." It's more true to what is going on. You didn't ignore the lowballer, and it looks like you want $80. So just be explicit about it and perhaps you can truly ignore all the crappy kijijidiots in the future.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I won't ship, deliver, trade, and will not tolerate lowball offers, I get exactly that. It's like a defiance attitude in the faceless people and their online presence.
I would keep in mind that for some they’re thinking of the end price and how to get there. There’s the expectation of negotiating. So when offering 50% some people could expect that the seller will want to “meet them halfway” which ends up being 75% of asking. I never would use such a strategy but all I’m saying is that negotiation has few rules and standards across the board.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've made plenty of deals through Kijiji and marketplace. I have never started at 50% and would think that many wouldn't even acknowledge that. I expect being negotiated with pretty much any time. Even with "firm" in the pricing, it happens, but to start at more respectable offer is what I'd consider negotiating, not starting at half. I find the people who offer half are more likely the flippers. In the end, it doesn't matter what is written in the ad's stipulations, people either don't read the ad fully, or just figure those are flexible additions to the bottom of the ad.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was just too early to have that start up for me. Sadly, being a conscientious seller, replying seems the polite and "professional" thing to do. I just reached the end of that line of thinking. Delete will be utilized far more now than ever. This guy just happened to be that last fibre of rope for me.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got a 98% reply rate. Good point.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts