The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a fan of digital modeling and own a Fractal AXE FX II and a FX8. After trying various combinations of digital only rigs, I prefer a set up like my current FX8 with a tube amp (my RedPlate or Matchless). Best of both worlds and am able to generate great tones with a lot of flexibility.

The Kemper units have always interested me but was on the Fractal wave and learning a new system was not a high priority.

Well, GAS being GAS, and my interest in trying new stuff out, I picked up a Kemper Powerhead with the Remote (the Kemper floorboard). Keeping with the best of both worlds approach, I wanted to try out the Kemper with a regular 1X12 guitar cabinet, my Tone Tools cab with a Guytron Big Tone Speaker.

After receiving the unit and procrastinating about playing it (been crazy at work), I decided to plug in - my first impression was wow, sounds great. Played for 20 minutes and was impressed.

A week or so later, I spent an hour or so going through the manual and despite the many knobs, it is pretty intuitive. To be clear, I am not a tweaker and more of a plug and play person. My Kemper came with the Michael Britt Dumble pack and played though it and sounded good then noticed the cab Preset was set to on - turned it off and......it is shockingly great sounding. I mean it sounds incredible. After an hour or so, I put 5 presets on the Remote including two clean tones and I’m a bit shell shocked.

I think I may start using it as my main rig - I love my current set up of a RedPlate amp with the FX8 but the Kemper is grab and go, light weight and a lot less connecting cables.

The Kemper has exceeded my expectations. It is a fantastic unit - again, I prefer simple and less knobs but the Kemper can be plug and play. I’m just discovering the possibilities and it truly is a joy to play. I plan to copy presets by Britt or others. More to come.

Electronics Electronic instrument Technology Electronic device Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I first saw this in Germany 2 years ago but did not really have time to look close enough.

Fast forward to Alex’s post today and I was intrigued enough to check out a few videos. My read of the profiler setting is digital reverse engineering. And that is very cool.

@Alex , when you can, please comment on ease of use of the Kemper compared to the Axe Fx. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I first saw this in Germany 2 years ago but did not really have time to look close enough.

Fast forward to Alex’s post today and I was intrigued enough to check out a few videos. My read of the profiler setting is digital reverse engineering. And that is very cool.

@Alex , when you can, please comment on ease of use of the Kemper compared to the Axe Fx. Thanks
There is no Editor with the Kemper and it is not required. The Kemper is like tweaking any analog amp with some added functionality but it is pretty intuitive. I love my Matchless amp because it has few knobs - the structure of the Kemper is easy and I am not intimidated whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have the non powered version and love it for my current situation (Condo living). I agree with your comment about tweaking. You can use a kemper with quite minimal tweaking but there is also a lot of parameters to adjust for the tweakers out there as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts