The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been holding out on the Kemper for a while. At home playing or with buddies, I will never play live. If I sold most of my amps and pedals, that covers a Powered Kemper and footboard and taxes.

How many of you guys would do that? I dont want to get into the "if it does not have tubes I am not playing it" argument. I would play any configuration if I liked the sounds. Also except for my EP3( which I would keep) I am not devoted to any one pedal.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
I wouldn't sell everything and go whole-hog into it. That's a huge risk.

Sadly, I wouldn't even expect to rent one for a month or two and be sure it's the way you want to go. It takes some time to find (or create) profiles you want. If you're playing live with it, more time to build those profiles into performances with the effects and merge settings, etc. And then time playing out with it to fine tune all the stuff you've programmed. It ain't a week-long endeavor.

I've had mine for three months and while I'm off-loading a bunch of pedals, I'm not moving any of my amps - YET. Overall, I'm very happy with it but I was happy with my amps for decades so this will take a bit more time for me to be sure it's the only thing I'll need. While I may eventually sell 4 or 5 amps, I suspect the LSS and TA15 aren't going anywhere ever.

After 8 years of KPA production (and much more for Axe products), this is far from temporary. A huge chunk of the pros you listen to or see live are using these now - and most people don't even know it. This tech is more inevitable than decent tubes being built 30 years from now. Some people are more open-minded than others. Pure tone and feel are there in spades (but everyone does sense this differently) and flexibility for live playing is unmatched by any tube amp (this, from an ex-Roadster user). I would say it's probably the same for home recording.

If possible, I would want to run both systems in parallel for a while. Especially gigging and jamming. I can see where, for home playing and recording, this may be much better than tube amps are in that environment. You generally don't get the best out of most tube amps at home, unless you have a specific room built for it/them. These play nice at any level - if you like the tone and feel.

Reactions: bw66

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
Guys. OP doesnt gig.
I realize that but gave a more rounded experience anyways.

As far as home play, I haven't turned on a tube amp to play at home since I got it - except to profile one. It is excellent for home use. But you have to like the tone and feel. With 14k+ profiles available for free on-line (and more if you want to pay), chances are pretty good you will find something you like (unless, perhaps, you only hear one specific tone in your head?).

And they're always upgrading for free. The new firmware with better verbs has some people saying they don't need their Strymons, etc. anymore. I can't speak on that as a) I'm not an early adopter of beta firmware and b) I don't own any high-end verb effects to compare.

But it is a computer and has it's buggy moments. I don't like the fact that I can't fix it myself, like I can with my analog amps. I haven't had anything happen playing out with it, but that is a concern. I always have my TA15 in the car, just in case.

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did this years ago when the Kemper first came out and you could get it from L&M for 1499$ at the time. What a mistake that was on my part to sell most of my stuff.
While the unit is good and has a lot in the box as offered, I just did not jive with what I was hearing for the most part. If you like what you have for amp sounds, I'd stay with that. The Kemper has had lots of updates to it over the years and I'm sure things are great now. I had the LED rings of death which were fixed on my original unit and the alternative input died and they were not able to repair that part after 3 months of it being in Germany. Again, this was quite some time ago. I figured mine was just a freak incident. I had a powered rack a year later and that one shut down on me several times before and during a gig through the month that I had it and my tickets that I put in did not resolve anything so it was returned within the 30 days.

That being said, I did buy an Axe III that I got last year and I can honestly say that it is fabulous. I just got the new foot controller for it and it has quickly become such a great piece of gear to use live and for recording. This time though, I did not sell my amp and pedals. Those are keepers.

If you can keep both, do so. Your mind and ears like to hear different things and having both gives you some nice options for that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol @Budda it is broken, hence the idea. I have struggled finding an amp I really like sound wise. Best so far is a Fender Brown Deluxe That Mortatto did, from a member on here, but my EBMM Axis sounds like shit through it but my Strat loves it.

I have been buying pedals to fit a Strat and then finding out that they sound like junk with the Axis and really getting a complicated rig going. Then for fun I got a Katana 100 Head a while ago (thanks Dave). Just recently I stated actually looking at Patches, and what you can actually do with it( sort of amazing) since I had just loaded up a Gary Moore Plexi , and a Gilmour one.

Then I thought the Kemper and maybe 6 Michael Britt profiles will be all i ever need, the effects sound OK 5 amps tones, run my EP3 out the back and done. I get better quality than the Katana ,and no cords, and no buffer issues and more time playing than bloody sound/tone chasing.

Only reason I said Kemper is I have sort of followed that technology while I know little about the Helix and Fractal units

If its good enough live for Queensryche, Testament etc its overkill for me

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I did quite a bit of a/b’ing this weekend with my RedPlate, Bartel and Kemper. I was getting killer tones with both my RedPlate and Bartel and for a moment, thought the Kemper would not keep up.

Nope. The Kemper is stellar with my 1x12 cab. The Michael Britt 1969 Marshall profile sounds like the best Marshall ever. I’ve set it up with various levels of gain and I get great clean to high gain tones. I really like the compact size of the Kemper and Remote, very few cables - I’ve got some rehearsals coming up and looking forward to put it through the motions.

Save up, sell a few pieces and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
16,817 Posts
Sounds like the op's issue is the ebmm.

Buy an HH strat!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahha I cant sell that, it is the nicest guitar I have ever played. Phenomenal neck and build quality

·
Premium Member
16,817 Posts
Silly question, but:

You reset everything when you switch guitars, right? Amp EQ and pedal settings?

Or are you trying to get the strat settings to work for the ebmm and it falls flat?

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
@John Fisher , going by your last post, I think a Kemper may be the next logic step. It's a step up from what you've tried so far, IMO.

If you were happy with your current rig, it is a risk to lose that and maybe not get something better. But if you aren't finding satisfaction with what you've tried, there are literally thousands of sonic options with the KPA platform. I'd probably pull the trigger if I were in your situation.

For live, a powered Kemper, remote controller and wireless makes for a clean setup (only one cable on the floor) and dozens of sounds just a footswitch away. I use about 8 different profiles regularly, but it's nice to have other sounds available to try every now and then. You can build different 'performances' just based on profiles that sound good for each guitar. For home recording and playing, you can just go through sound after sound. The options are nearly limitless.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah definitely not happy.
@Budda, yes I do. I just find for example [email protected] drive is great Strat wise, but not Axis wise. Same with Big Muff. etc. So I am buying pedals more towards each guitar which is double the price. I have modded the Strat to a bridge SSL5 bridge and 2 custom 69s . I wanted more Gilmour sounding, and left the Humbuckers to the Axis for a variety

Yes I am altering Amp Eq for each guitar, compressor etc. I dont find phaser,delay etc to be much different, but all gain pedals for sure. not a silly question at all. Actually playing with a 10 band EQ as well.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
I won't give up on tube amps but I like the thought of dumping all my pedals for an integrated FX unit. The FX8 is the first one that gives me hope that i can do it successfully.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts