• black witch hats

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm throwing together a new Tele and I think I've decided on everything but the knobs. This is what it currently looks like, more or less just not the same bridge pickup. I've got a set of Reilanders, P90 neck, and I've decided on a Rutters chrome 3 saddle bridge, Bakelite guard but I don't know if I should keep the current witch hat black knobs or switch out for a set of chrome dome ones.
What do you guys say?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one preoccupied by such things

For the look I prefer the usual chrome knobs
But for practical reasons, numbers are better

L

·
0 Posts
For looks, the witch hats.
However, I found chromes domes to be more efficient to control
if you're going to be fiddlin' a lot on the knobs with your pinky.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Domes, and reverse the control plate if you've never tried it. Bet you don't go back.
Damn dude. I've never owned a Tele (rented one for a Month though and still considering one), but the reverse control plate is something I'd never have thought of. Makes a ton of sense for number of reasons, ease and efficiency of use seemingly being 2 of them.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For looks, the witch hats.
However, I found chromes domes to be more efficient to control
if you're going to be fiddlin' a lot on the knobs with your pinky.
You're right, buy a set of each and figure out what works better after some extensive testing.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Domes, and reverse the control plate if you've never tried it. Bet you don't go back.
This just never caught on with me. I prefer, and am used to, the standard controls layout. I did pick up a Tele recently that has a divot in the pickup selector and it allows for a finger to basically rest on it and switch positions. I like that feel.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
Chrome domes. Perhaps vintage-looking, if they match the rest of the guitar. Like @Mooh ,I think witch hats are for amps. And Trix are for kids.

Glad to know I'm not the only one preoccupied by such things

For the look I prefer the usual chrome knobs
But for practical reasons, numbers are better
I align my dome knobs so the set screw is aligned with the switch (@ 9:00) for quick reference. So I can look down and see every setting from 6 to 10 - below that doesn't matter much. And anything less than 10 is usually by ear anyways. And like @vadsy , never really got on with the reverse plate. I think Leo got it right - or I've just adapted to it.

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
On that finish, the ones in the picture look great. I don't doubt chrome would look bad, but it may look a little less suave.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Yeah, chrome on more chrome is not so great IMHO; the hats look cool, counterbalancing the shiny and working with the bridge pup/guard. And this is from a guy who does not like witch hats.

That flipping the plate around idea sounds like it might be genius.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Just remember to flip the switch around as well cuz otherwise that annoying.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It just isn't my thought process on it. I switch pickup positions just as much as I use the volume knob, I'd like them close together and available to my picking hand.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I'm not a fan of witch hats--and they just don't look right on a Tele.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts