The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sitting on a mid sixties Kay Vanguard for a few years now. It was missing the neck pickup and I recently found a replacement for it. I was wondering if anyone out there has a 2 Pickup wiring schematic for a Vanguard, or at least good detailed photos of the wiring. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pic Greco. I think the issue might also be with the 3 way switch. The switch in this picture only has three lugs and most 3 way switches have four. The 3 way switch needed replacing but I couldn't find a switch with just 3 lugs. I may just have to start resoldering and wire it in the tradition Gibson style...

·
Registered
24,352 Posts
I repaired on of those for a friend years back. We replaced the pickup with something more substantial. I still have the cover of the "zippo" pickup, if you need it. They were butt ugly inside. A ton of wax as I remember.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I changed the wiring over to a more traditional Les Paul style wiring scheme and both pickups work...problem is my bridge tone pot is acting more like a volume pot. I swapped out the .1mfd Vitamin Q PIO capacitor for a .05mfd disc capacitor and still the same problem. I can't see any shorts, everything is wired cleanly, redid my solder joints...could it be anything other than a bad tone pot?
Neck tone is just fine with the .1mfd capacitor...rolls back nicely, gets a super woody jazz tone...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts