The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Katana 50.

My primary need is for something to woodshed with in the basement at very low volumes with basic, "standard" (pun is intended) jazz tones. I doubt that I will be downloading files for it from a computer. Plug-n-play is fine for me

The Katana's popularity as a good basic amp for jazz guitar has not waned much through time in a thread in the Jazz Guitar Forum. However, some felt that the 100 is a better overall amp.

Any comments from owners here?
Especially those of you that have owned the 50 and upgraded to the 100...or are comparing the two amps and considering this move.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Hi Dave,

I upgraded from the 50 to the 100, but it didn't do what I though it would do. I assumed it would saturate differently, but it stayed consistent.

Regardless, it's a great choice for Jazz, but to be honest, an older Roland Microcube will have it beat. $70, low volume, killer clean with reverb and you're laughing. Remember I ran one through it paces with you a few riff wraths ago?

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your response. I do remember listening to you play through the Microcube at Gerry's and it sounded quite good. After doing some reading about it, my only concern would be the bass output.

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying a Katana 50 at home and, so far, it is just not doing it for me.
Maybe I'm just too used to my old amp..crappy as it is.

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I returned the Katana 50.
Somehow, it sounded 'thin' and 'boxy' to me.

However, I know that these amps are very popular and capable of many tones, especially if you use the software.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Hi Dave,

I upgraded from the 50 to the 100, but it didn't do what I though it would do. I assumed it would saturate differently, but it stayed consistent.

Regardless, it's a great choice for Jazz, but to be honest, an older Roland Microcube will have it beat. $70, low volume, killer clean with reverb and you're laughing. Remember I ran one through it paces with you a few riff wraths ago?
Thumbs up on the older micro cube...I nodded mine with a speaker jack to use different cabs, as well as a switch that keeps the internal speaker running when using the headphone/line-out that let's me use it as a small monitor and send a feed to the pa

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
How about the classic, but downsized Roland JC-22 or JC-40?
Small, light, solid state, clean.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
How about a Quilter? hahahaha J/K.
Maybe, you need to look at tube amp options. I have a Mack Gem '2G' that might work for what you want. It goes from 4 watts to 0.4 watts. No reverb though, but you can always add a reverb pedal. LMK if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
For jazz, Take the cheapest solid state amp you can find( e.g. a Peavey Bandit from the '80's) and put a Board to make it a closed back. This tip was provided to me by ex 12 Fret owner and luthier Dave Wren. You will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

The Roland Cubes are fantastic for warm clean tones as well. I have one in my home office and I'm always surprised at how good it sounds for little money.

What is the scoop on the Quilter?

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For jazz, Take the cheapest solid state amp you can find....

The Roland Cubes are fantastic for warm clean tones as well. I have one in my home office and I'm always surprised at how good it sounds for little money.

What is the scoop on the Quilter?
I am presently using one of the cheapest SS amps from the '90s (Champion 30 with an "upgraded" inexpensive 10" AlNiCo speaker). For now, I will stay with this and work on getting the tone out of my fingers.
NOTE TO SELF: Stop obsessing and just get on with it
I will try closing off the back as you advise. I normally prefer open back "fullness"
...but I haven't tried this amp with the back closed.
EDIT: Just closed the back temporarily and it appears to sound a bit better. Thanks again.

I sold the Quilter to @Chito.
...How do you like it? Did you get the EQ sorted out and get your tones?

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about a Backstage Plus?
@laristotle Thanks for the info.

I have come to the conclusion that I am spending far too much time on this tone quest and my energy would be put into much better use by practicing more.

This Jazz Guitar Forum thread lists about 20 different amps that are viewed with enthusiasm...
cheap good sounding HOME solid state amp

I'm getting analysis paralysis...quickly..LOL

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that I am spending far too much time on this tone quest and my energy would be put into much better use by practicing more.
Likely the best tonal decision you'll ever make.
The road to tonal nirvana is paved with the skin of fingertips. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
Inspiring tone helps the hours spent on improving skill, so dont discount it entirely.

I have a closed back 1x8 kustom hybrid amp you are welcome to try out. It is very simple and imo the cleans are good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts