The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've played with these guys since xmas. Mostly once a week besides a few times where family stuff came first, or we simply couldn't play at my place.

They are younger, don't have great equipment or the funds to invest in what they need to play, nor are they willing to pay to rent a rehearsal space. On the other hand, the singer has talent and the rhythm guitar has potential as he is solid. I've been kicking my wife and kid out of the house at least one to two times a month, and the other practices have been in a dad's basement that will be soon selling the house. The agreement was originally to rehearse here at max once a month, which was more than twice a month to start, and recording demos on top of that.

The singer is unwilling to pay 22 bucks a week to rehearse at a studio, or to invest in any PA gear (which I already have 90% of the stuff). The guitarist is unwilling to heed advice on getting a proper guitar amp for what we do. On their end, they see it as I am not committing enough time as I have been forced to cancel practice at my place a couple times, which is usually to their schedules mid day on weekends which doesn't work for family. On top of this they are not practicing or writing material on their own time so rehearsals have stagnated a bit and they aren't willing to push through, and are just gung-ho to play live which they are nowhere near ready for, nor do they we have a regular drummer. They seem to think that they will just hire a new gun and use his space entirely.

It sucks because the songs we wrote are good, and I know regardless they will most likely be using the songs and demo's that we wrote and I recorded and mixed.

I just told them I am out of the group until they can commit financially and stop imposing on my family, his dad, or others to play.

Am I being unreasonable to cut my losses?

·
Premium Member
8,484 Posts
The problems seem to completely revolve around money. That seems pretty good compared to all the other drama I usually read about. It's kind of a shame.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Sounds like they want to have fun and you are more serious and focused. Unless you can just lighten up and have fun then it won’t work. I would have kept going as it’s hard to find bandmates.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a fit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wouldn't bother, they obviously don't want to commit to the band. You'd just be wasting your time trying to force something that isn't going to happen.
Find musicians that take it as seriously as you do

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,117 Posts
Bad vibes man... problems aside being irritated and angry won't make his tunes. Probably better off.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Dead weight man. Compatibality comes first.

I got great advice one time. Hire for attitude and not skill. Skill can be acquired - attitude not so often.
Yes, totally agree. attitude comes first.I also got this advice from a pro player.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm no musician. Strictly from a business sense, sounds like the name of the band should be dead horse. Kick it all you want, it'll still be dead.
Just doesn't sound like the other parties have enough interest/potential for the venture to invest any more time or money, sorry.

Again, that's strictly my Personal Business view; feelings, dreams and the word, "fun" never enter the equation.

Alternately look at it as a hobby, something fun to do a couple times/mo and forget about it going any further than that. Perhaps it can eventually grow on it's own without you having to pull the weight from there?
For what it's worth, that's my 2c.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going with my gut on this one. as a couple have said, members are hard to find. Especially good singers. The problem is mostly financial, but any time I've jammed with deadbeats, it was just that. I sat out of bands for way too long because of people unwilling to pay to play which is the reality for loud heavy music.

Even though one of them is happy to gloat about owning condo's and muscle cars, he can't cover his bro in laws jamspace, or use proper gear. But he's more than happy to shop for players that have a space they can use which became clear after a few months.

And cdntac, it made me happy, it made all of us happy. The problem was imposing on myself and my wife to play here all the time. There are only so many family outings or dinners mid day on a sunday that she'd be happy to go. We recorded some decent demo's and haven't had that type of response in a while, but short of showing up they wouldn't invest practice or money into it.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
There is fun, and there is professionalism. Lotsa folks want to be in bands or start bands because it's fun. And it is, or at least can be. But that doesn't mean they either want to, or know how to, or can afford to, be professional about it. It sounds like the other members can provide the one, but can't provide the other. If both are important to you, then I suspect you made the right move.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts