The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some bills coming up and am struggling to come up with the money without going in debt. I hate debt. I have a very nice old made in Victoria 12 string Larrivee. It is by far the nicest guitar I've ever owned. I convinced myself I could live without it so I put it up for sale. I received a few offers for trades with cash on their end but none of the guitars really interested me. Yesterday I got an offer from a guy who lives in Victoria, seems to appreciate what the guitar is, and has made a very good offer with a guitar that really interests me and a decent amount of cash. If anything the deal is lopsided in my favour. Now I'm struggling to let go of the Larrivee. Life is about choices so I have to make a decision. I'm not really expecting any advice here. I just had to vent about this somewhere and my wife just says to keep the Larrivee but she is really an enabler for my guitar passion.

Here's a picture of the Larrivee:

2017-09-28 09.05.56 copy.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I will make your life even hard! Keep the larrivee and pay for the guitar you really like :D
You live only once.

But I was always debt free and would never wanted to go that route no matter what.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,192 Posts
My wife still has $100k in student loans. If we'd waited for that you be paid off before starting a family I'd have been retired from the military before we had our first. Its all about what your priorities are in life and only you can decide that. Debt free or a million in the hole none of it matters in the end as long as everything before the end works for you.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Lovely guitar, that. I doubt I could part with it. Being debt-free is but a dream for me, some pretty rough times has prevented it, but I admire you for your discipline. I married an enabler as well, so I haven't much perspective.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
626 Posts
if you have owned the 12 string a long time Id say keep it, if less than 5 years say good bye-- play the trade offered is important as well... good luck and which ever you end up keeping "love the one your with" have fun...

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you have owned the 12 string a long time Id say keep it, if less than 5 years say good bye-- play the trade offered is important as well... good luck and which ever you end up keeping "love the one your with" have fun...
I've only had the 12 string for a couple of months. In that time it has been my number one for sure. I barely play any other guitars at home now. My problem with it is it is so nice I'm afraid to take it out of the house. I believe guitars should be played in public for everyone to enjoy. I've been playing my GS Mini and an Epiphone acoustic at open mics and jams but every time I wished I had the Larrivee with me. One time when I took it to an open mic someone sat on the case with the guitar in it and I freaked out. It hasn't been out of the house since.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Listen to your wife.

How long will be in debt?
How long will you miss the Larrivee?
How long before you can get a similar Larrivee?
Probably never find a similar Larrivee. It is a very rare guitar. The L42 was only made for a few years in Victoria.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A goegeois and rare 12-strings Larrivée ?!
KEEP IT !!!
;-)
I own two Larrivées (L-03koa and OM-09) : I love both !
It would take a bunch of money to let one of them leave for the moment !

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sat on the guitar case?!*#*( Did you knock them out?

I too would keep the Larivee. Why sell a guitar that sounds so good to you? If the other guitar sounds very nice as well I would try to scrape the money together for it.

I just bought a Ramirez 1a 10 string classical guitar. Did I need it? No, but life is short so I sprung for it. If it is a question of making a mortgage payment or the guitar, basic needs come first. Otherwise ...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Do not sell it please, if you got it and you like it and is very rare, keep it. I understand "being scared to take it out" but that's ok, keep it at home and enjoy it dare. It is beautiful guitar.

SG - I thin you already have one. I understand is also unique one - but still.

Those are my thoughts :D

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I've only had the 12 string for a couple of months. In that time it has been my number one for sure. I barely play any other guitars at home now. My problem with it is it is so nice I'm afraid to take it out of the house. I believe guitars should be played in public for everyone to enjoy. I've been playing my GS Mini and an Epiphone acoustic at open mics and jams but every time I wished I had the Larrivee with me. One time when I took it to an open mic someone sat on the case with the guitar in it and I freaked out. It hasn't been out of the house since.
Keep the guitar, get a stronger case and take it and play it. That's what it is made for. If you take care of it when you're out, it will last and you'll have the pleasure of playing it.

BTW, I am in the market for a nice acoustic 12 string at the moment. It's down to a Guild F-1512, an F2512 or an Alvarez.

Reactions: mawmow
P

·
0 Posts
My thought is that if a guitar is too precious to play or even take out of the house, why keep it? A guitar is a thing that’s meant to be used and heard. Expensive glass figurines and rare stamps should stay in cases behind closed doors, not guitars:)
Studio instruments.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
My D-28 Authentic is about a $10,000 guitar. I just got back from a house party pounding the hell out of it. If I own it, its not too nice to take out of the house. I understand there are people who own guitars and agonize over any potential ding and are too anxious to take it out of the house. Thats fine its their guitar and none of use can tell them how to use it.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
My D-28 Authentic is about a $10,000 guitar. I just got back from a house party pounding the hell out of it. If I own it, its not too nice to take out of the house. I understand there are people who own guitars and agonize over any potential ding and are too anxious to take it out of the house. Thats fine its their guitar and none of use can tell them how to use it.
Yes we can and we do but they don't have to listen.:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts