The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered an Eminence Maverick speaker from NextGen guitars and discovered they have 10% off all orders over $20 and the free shipping minimum had dropped from $150 to $99.

Hope this doesn't come off as spam (not affiliated with the company at all) but thought some of you would be interested.

Happy Canada Day!

TG

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I bought a Maverick from them a few weeks back.

The review with the Reignmaker and Maverick in a Garnet Session Man was mine.

The combination of those two speakers in the old amp, vastly improved it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a Maverick from them a few weeks back.

The review with the Reignmaker and Maverick in a Garnet Session Man was mine.

The combination of those two speakers in the old amp, vastly improved it.
I struggled with which one of these to get but went with the Maverick because I thought it would offer better cleans. Does the attenuation work well?

TG

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I struggled with which one of these to get but went with the Maverick because I thought it would offer better cleans. Does the attenuation work well?

TG
I have the Reignmaker (purchased from NextGen), and I suppose as with any attenuation, sometimes it suits just fine, and sometimes not. Sometimes while playing alone in the basement, I want a powerful head to just ease up a bit, and I find the Reignmaker does that very well. When trying to go down to max attenuation, and cranking up the head, I find there is some 'fizziness' at the end of the notes, and I don't like that.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
TG, the attenuation knocks up to 9 db if you want. That takes my Garnet down to 9 or 10 watt territory. It allows me to use the natural overdrive that the amp generates.

I added my mid '80's Rat to fatten things up. With or without the Rat, it just sounds righteous now.

My experience with the FDM knob, finds the sweet spot with these speakers is with the knob clocked straight up.

I chose the Maverick for clean and the Reignmaker for clean to mean. As the Maverick breaks in, it is fulfilling my expectations. I can run the speakers paired, or individually, depending on how I have them wired at the time.

Are there speakers that may sound better? That answer is obvious. However, these versatile speakers sound very good, and do much more than what a pair of traditional speakers are capable of.

I don't think that I would load these speakers in every amp that I own. I like every amp to sound unique.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Thanks TC. Looking forward to trying it in my YGM-3 Guitarmate.
I had the Reignmaker in my 1976 YGM3 for at least a couple of years. I liked it in there; but the Celestion G12H30 Anniversary also sounds very sweet in my Amp.

I know that I can be satisfied with the Celestion back in the Traynor, and the FDM speakers in the Garnet.

I have a Traynor DHX 212 cab that I add to the YGM3. It is awesome when combined with the Celestion.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
I have a Maverick in my DRRI. I never use it for full attenuation, I just take a few dB out when I'm in a smaller room.

I like to use the DRRI at around 4 or 5, so I start around there and then adjust the speaker for the size of room / volume I need to be. It usually no more than half way around the dial or so. I like it using it like that. Sounds good with that amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts