The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Just had my ears stretched...

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  lolligagger 
What is your price point? Determine what you need in your next guitar. Then buy the very best that you can afford that gives you that.
I own one Larrivee, (BT-60 baritone). My brother has had several, (from a plain OM-5 up to a full custom cutaway). The Toronto built ones are very rare. The early B.C. production models are as well and priced accordingly. I'm not as impressed with everything coming out of the factory in California as those that were built in Canada. Still, I have to agree that bang for the buck Larrivee is the best going.
I'm not sure of the prices but you might also be interested in checking out Stonebridge.
Andrew White plays them now.

I have found the best way to determine which guitar to buy when faced with several equal models to choose from is to use a blind test.
Have someone else play them while your back is to them. Have them play the same tunes on each but never tell you which guitar they are playing. You pick the one that sounds best. Remember that as a player you hear things differently then your audience does. So you must become the audience so to speak.

IM Canadian said:
You made a great choice. I played a few d40 at L&M in Toronto and fell in love. I think these were a custom order for L&M.
ENJOY.
I concur, very nice indeed. And being the satin finish it's Canadian built. :smilie_flagge17:
I do not believe the D-40's to have been special though L&M did commission fifty L-05's for their 50th anniversary sale.

I must have played two dozen guitars myself on Saturday, (Guitar World in Cobourg and L&M in Oshawa). I was trying to sooth my sorrow on losing out on one guitar by buying another. Ended up with the GNX4 Guitar Workstation instead. Not sure what an acoustic player needs with effects pedals but I've got 30 days to play with it to figure that out. :D Bahahahaha
Back to Larrivee's, by far the best sounding guitar I played on Saturday was a D-60. Unfortunately I need a wider neck for my fat little fingers.
Biggest surprise was a Cort that I played. Not sure of the model but it had surprising tone with dual electrics (under saddle + internal mic) and on-board EQ for around $1300. Still it didn't match the D-60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.