The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bumming BIG TIME.... just drop my Heritage Gary Moore on the floor, directly on the top of the neck, appears to be cracked good. I need help boy's. I have to have it looked at now. I am thinking the 12th fret... any others in the Southern Ontario area? :mad:

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
Guitar Clinic is mostly basses now. There was a tech there years ago who left a bad impression with me. He might not be there now but you know how those things linger.

Try Freddy Gabsrek. He did the re-fret on my Studio and did a top notch job.

Here's his site: http://www.freddysfrets.com/ . He's located in Welland but well worth the trip.

Good luck. I live in fear of that sort of thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Guitar Clinic is closed. George Furlanetto (Owner of the Guitar Clinic and the F-Bass shop), decided that he wanted to put his focus back into his F-Bass line, and closed the Guitar Clinic. I'm not sure how accurate this is but this is what I've heard/read.

I'm hoping I can get a job there this summer.

One of the techs from the Guitar Clinic opened his own shop "The Peghead".

·
Registered
541 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I am bumming BIG TIME.... just drop my Heritage Gary Moore on the floor, directly on the top of the neck, appears to be cracked good. I need help boy's. I have to have it looked at now. I am thinking the 12th fret... any others in the Southern Ontario area? :mad:
As far as repairs go, I've not had good luck at the 12th fret. They put a chip in my headstock with a file while fixing the nut on my PRS and tried to paint it without telling me.
Not to mention there's sort of an elitist attitude among their employees.

Everytime I go in there I feel like:sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
A headstock crack, or you cracked the neck?
If it's the neck, you might want to ship it to Heritage for a reneck. You might be looking at about a grand (just guessing tho)

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it's in the neck below the headstock. I will take some pics and put them up. Might need a new neck altogether... which would be a major bummer since I would have to get a regular neck and not the Gary Moore signature neck

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures

Here are some pics of the damage. The one crack is clear, the one on top looks more like a scrape. I cannot see a crack in the wood. Looks like someone took a knife and just carved off the finish. I assume the stress cracked it there though and caused this.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think that's repairable, find the best luthier you can. I wouldn't think you'd have to replace the neck for that.

oh, and DONT DO THAT AGAIN

·
Registered
635 Posts
That definitely looks repairable. I'm no luthier, but it seems to me that since the break is really long, there's a lot of surface area for gluing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I second folkway music. They are REALLY good. The place I use is in kitchener, called Schatten design, he was done lots of neck reset's too, folkway deals primarily in vintage though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
One good thing

They say after you glue a piece of neck wood thats been damaged like that the repair is actually stronger than the original..........at least the ones that are not snapped completely off.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I am so sorry that happened to that beautiful guitar. I'm no expert, but I have seen guitars with much worse breaks that were expertly repaired. Take your time and find a good repairman.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts