The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I didn't play anything above the 15th fret, this wouldn't be a problem. Now, I don't own a single cut ( got three DCs though), but I keep trying them and it is always awkward above the 15th fret. I tried a PRS SE SC and the SE DC. Same thing - awkward between the 15th and 20th frets on the SC, but not the DC. As much as I try to like LPs or a PRS SC, I just can't get used to playing these things in the upper registers. My hand is small and I hook my thumb around the top of the neck a lot.

My second, but less serious problem is the heel. I like a smooth or unobstructive heel. That hand of mine just loves SGs. The PRS McCarty comes in a close second. Strats are nice - the bolt on heel is very minor annoyance, but I can play around it - just not quite as smooth as the SG or PRS for me.

And I slightly prefer the shorter Gibson scale.

I have a MIJ 335 style axe and it is very easy to move around the upper frets. Same with my Hamer P90 Special. Just not a single cut guy I guess.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm guessing that many LP afficionados don't have generally a thing for playing the uppermost register on their necks and so it's not a problem. On the other hand, some people say it's merely a matter of adjusting / honing your technique.

I'm with you, though... I sure find it easier on an SG or Strat.. even a Tele. I also have a couple of Washburn strat types with Stephens Extended Cutaways... now there's a neck built for speed and full access. Solid as hell too, even though it's a bolt-on.

I have only one LP type, an Agile. Great guitar and I do get my hands way up there, but I have to admit I play in that zone for shorter periods because it cramps me up otherwise. Whereas on some of my other guitars that's just not an issue.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If I could find a Les Paul (not a similar single cut) with jumbo frets and an unfinished maple neck (or satin finish... yeah, I think that's the word hah) I wouldn't play anything else!

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
i never used to be a les paul guy, and my best friend never really was a strat man. he's got his trusty epi strat, and for my "first expensive guitar' (note how i knew there would be more :p) i bought my les paul studio.

now he loves strats and teles with a passion, and i want a fleet of LP's hehe. people say the fret access on an LP is bad, but i can play past 15 just fine and i dont have long fingers. i never thought i'd end up loving LP's but when i pick mine up, it just makes me want to play!

if you dont like LP-style guitars, you dont like LP-style guitars. have you tried an ESP/ltd EC-1000 (eclipse)?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I like LP guitars for reasons other than upper fret access or the positioning of the pickup switch - namely the solidity and resonance and how that beefiness tranlates when you're slinging out walls of chords.

I don't think it's as simple as "if you dont like LP-style guitars, you dont like LP-style guitars."

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, Zakk is one of my favorite players... but I don't want a signature guitar. I find it a bit lame playin' them up in front of people lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts