The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter, my house humidity is less than 20%.
This year I've added a 2nd humidifier (with LED readouts) and placed them on both sides of my office/music room.
When I enter... I can see the room humidity is exactly 50%. This applies to my D35 on it's stand and the other Martins in their cases.
The benefit of the second humidifier (on sale $179 CAD): I don't need to fill the water reserve as often, the humidity is constant throughout the room and if one runs dry the other continues.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
This year I've added a 2nd humidifier (with LED readouts) and placed them on both sides of my office/music room.
When I enter... I can see the room humidity is exactly 50%. This applies to my D35 on it's stand and the other Martins in their cases.
The benefit of the second humidifier (on sale $179 CAD): I don't need to fill the water reserve as often, the humidity is constant throughout the room and if one runs dry the other continues.
I don't need two but I wish I had a way to keep it filled up when I travel.

P

·
0 Posts
What unit did you buy? Does it have filters that need to be replaced? I have 2 running, but they use these $23 filters every month, so it is almost $50 to change the filters...

P

·
0 Posts
AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Espresso
Yes, they need filters... but I'm planning to change them every season.
You can change them once a year, but the unit will stop working once the filter is done, which is in about 3-4 weeks for mine. The minerals and stuff in the water stays in the filter as the water evaporates, and the mineral deposit stops the filter from wicking up the water. No wicking, no humidifying. I have been trying to wash the mineral deposits out using 7% pickling vinegar and baking soda. It works a bit, but the filters are not very durable and don't like being cleaned.

These are the ones I use. I have 2 that are the same but different branding (Bionaire from Canadian Tire), and I bought 2 of these this year. I am only using 2. There are 2 tanks that hold about 20 litres in total.
HU3955 122118-122418 CRAZY COUPONS

They are on sale now with the coupon, but are regularly $100.
HOLMES COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE ROOMS UP TO 2000 SQ FT

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
You can change them once a year, but the unit will stop working once the filter is done, which is in about 3-4 weeks for mine. The minerals and stuff in the water stays in the filter as the water evaporates, and the mineral deposit stops the filter from wicking up the water. No wicking, no humidifying. I have been trying to wash the mineral deposits out using 7% pickling vinegar and baking soda. It works a bit, but the filters are not very durable and don't like being cleaned.

These are the ones I use. I have 2 that are the same but different branding (Bionaire from Canadian Tire), and I bought 2 of these this year. I am only using 2. There are 2 tanks that hold about 20 litres in total.

Hehheh, looks like a modeling amp.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've been using my first humidifier for 6 months, the unit suggests I change the fitter... but continues to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about a less expensive option to the room humidifiers? If one needs to humidify the house/room, this is the way to go....but...if one wants to humidify the guitars...then conider this:
Featured Products
I am not endorsing or selling the product(s) here in any way...just the concept. This is like a greenhouse, with internal humidity provided by a low-tech water bottle and a wick. I have my own setup, which I have used for a couple of years, refilling the water bottle about 3 times per year. Have to experiment with the amount of wick exposure, but when done, this is truly maintenance free. The humidity level is fairly consistent year-round. I was getting tired for refilling the guitar humidifiers every week in the cases. Bonus is that if the guitars are visible, and readily and easily available you want to play more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about a less expensive option to the room humidifiers? If one needs to humidify the house/room, this is the way to go....but...if one wants to humidify the guitars...then conider this:

Thanks Yikes...
I might give this a try in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts