The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I had a client who was big into this...

I'm pretty open minded, and am more curious about it. until I see the science from both sides discussed by some impartial scientist, I wouldn't dismiss it. I mean, municipalities treat water with chlorine (accu-tab and similar). When you're tree planting, you use chlorine tablets to purify the water, etc. etc.

I can smell a lot of bleach in my town water as well.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
i used to know this woman who though ear-candling was the cure-all for every affliction known to mankind. no amount of trying could convince her otherwise.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
I had a client who was big into this...

I'm pretty open minded, and am more curious about it. until I see the science from both sides discussed by some impartial scientist, I wouldn't dismiss it. I mean, municipalities treat water with chlorine (accu-tab and similar). When you're tree planting, you use chlorine tablets to purify the water, etc. etc.

When it comes to chemistry, suffixes matter. "-ite" and "-ine"are not the same thing.
As for chlorine in the water, when it comes to the choice between bacteria and the minimal damage that highly diluted chlorine can do, the pro/con risk/benefit balance works in favour of chlorine. Same way that anti-biotics kill good gut flora but also kill things that are killing you faster, so the balance works in favour of using an anti-biotic.

But you know, I have my doubts about those who come from shithole galaxies like Andromeda. There are far better galaxies to come from.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Lotsa bullshit out there. Celebrities, media, laymen, doctors, scientists. From dingbat charlatan to money-grabbing professional, they could cause us (in North America especially) to throw the baby out with the bath water.

My son was just diagnosed this week with dermatomyositis. His immune system is attacking his skin and muscles. Nobody in the family, including his nurse sister, wants to see him use the same drugs that killed my sister by the time she was fifty. This is medical science's default and only setting for him.

He is trying other things first. He is lucky at least to have the option of time to experiment. Its not a life-threatening ailment. There should be no objections to a case-specific diet and regimented rest? Or is it better to just blindly obey Almighty Pharmaceutical? Lol.

Today is Day One.

If I had listened to my doctor earlier this year, Lyme disease woulda ruined my life. No test result means "no Lyme" I was told. With nine outa ten symptoms and the remains of a red-legged tick in hand, I would suggest they come up with a better test. If you want to talk about how stupid people can be. However, I am extremely grateful for the antibiotics I forced him to give me. What a relief!

So it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. But yeah, definitely surprising the things people (you and me!) believe sometimes.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I saw that in the news today. It is amazing and sad, what some people will believe and how others take advantage of desperate or naive people.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
An inexpensive charcoal filter (Brita) will remove the smell and taste. Good enough for tea, coffee, cooking. I filter twice for drinking water. It won't hurt you.

Also, when I was a kid my brother had an aquarium. Our town water came straight outa the river. If it was raining, the water was dirty. Thats how primitive it was. Horribly chlorinated. If he dumped the aquarium fish into the tap water too soon some would die. He learned to let the chlorine "air out " at least overnight. Then they were all fine.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
It is not the best thing for your thyroid either but municipalities continue to use it. We have good old well water where we live now and get it tested now and again to make sure it is fine. When you go back to Montreal or Ontario to visit, the smell really hits us as we are not used to it any longer. I strongly urge you to get a filter to remove it or let your drinking water stand for a day or two as that will allow the chlorine to dissipate from the water.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
An inexpensive charcoal filter (Brita) will remove the smell and taste. Good enough for tea, coffee, cooking. I filter twice for drinking water. It won't hurt you.

Also, when I was a kid my brother had an aquarium. Our town water came straight outa the river. If it was raining, the water was dirty. Thats how primitive it was. Horribly chlorinated. If he dumped the aquarium fish into the tap water too soon some would die. He learned to let the chlorine "air out " at least overnight. Then they were all fine.
I have an RO system that deals with all the crap, as well as some spaceship unit down in the basement that also came with the house. My drinking water is fine. I smell it in the bathroom mostly.

It is not the best thing for your thyroid either but municipalities continue to use it. We have good old well water where we live now and get it tested now and again to make sure it is fine. When you go back to Montreal or Ontario to visit, the smell really hits us as we are not used to it any longer. I strongly urge you to get a filter to remove it or let your drinking water stand for a day or two as that will allow the chlorine to dissipate from the water.
I was on a well in my last house. I came to the conclusion that most water is shit without something being done to it. Unless it's Dasani - I'd rather do a shot of e-coli ridden puddle water.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
When it comes to chemistry, suffixes matter. "-ite" and "-ine"are not the same thing.
As for chlorine in the water, when it comes to the choice between bacteria and the minimal damage that highly diluted chlorine can do, the pro/con risk/benefit balance works in favour of chlorine. Same way that anti-biotics kill good gut flora but also kill things that are killing you faster, so the balance works in favour of using an anti-biotic.

But you know, I have my doubts about those who come from shithole galaxies like Andromeda. There are far better galaxies to come from.
Isn't chlorine just a 7% or 9% solution of sodium hypochlorite? I think 2% is bleach, etc, etc.

I realize that ites and ates and ines are different, I just need to actually see studies or someone's unbiased conclusion after assessing both sides.

In the book I wrote called, "Everyone's a Whacko: The People are Shitty Chronicles", I state that I'll give everyone the time of day - even Andromedons.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Sorry I just have to put my girly 2 cents worth in.

Waist trainers/corsets! The worst thing you can do for your body! Pure torture and dangerous.

They can prohibit oxygen and blood flow to vital organs.

.....and who is endorsing these? A lot of celebrities, that’s who. Kim Kardashian is endorsing these barbaric torture devices. Unfortunately she is a role model for many woman of all ages.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
My son was just diagnosed this week with dermatomyositis. His immune system is attacking his skin and muscles. Nobody in the family, including his nurse sister, wants to see him use the same drugs that killed my sister by the time she was fifty. This is medical science's default and only setting for him.

He is trying other things first. He is lucky at least to have the option of time to experiment. Its not a life-threatening ailment. There should be no objections to a case-specific diet and regimented rest? Or is it better to just blindly obey Almighty Pharmaceutical? Lol.

Today is Day One.
So sorry to hear about your son. You must be devastated.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Lotsa bullshit out there. Celebrities, media, laymen, doctors, scientists. From dingbat charlatan to money-grabbing professional, they could cause us (in North America especially) to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Today is Day One.

If I had listened to my doctor earlier this year, Lyme disease woulda ruined my life. No test result means "no Lyme" I was told. With nine outa ten symptoms and the remains of a red-legged tick in hand, I would suggest they come up with a better test. If you want to talk about how stupid people can be. However, I am extremely grateful for the antibiotics I forced him to give me. What a relief!

So it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. But yeah, definitely surprising the things people (you and me!) believe sometimes.
Not to derail but when Shania first lost her voice, it was reported to be a psychological condition caused by the breakdown of her marriage to Mutt. In a recent interview, she said it was caused by Lyme disease. I hope things work out well for your son.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
It is amazing and sad, what some people will believe and how others take advantage of desperate or naive people.
You said it. I always encourage my kids to employ critical thinking. My daughter was all about some miracle supplement a couple of months ago. She had seen some sort of video on Instagram and thought this was the miracle cure she needed to give her more energy and be healthy. I told her to do some google searching on this and look at opposing opinions before she jumped in. She's a smart kid and ended up realizing it was mostly hype without any science behind it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I work in an office full of them. Kinda sad seeing as we're all people of science of various disciplines. Have you heard about Apple Cider Vinegar? It's saving lives man!​

1 - 20 of 57 Posts