The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my JTM45 today. Sounds excellent! I bought this as a Christmas goift to myself (I love building amps... didnt need it but wanted it type thing :) )

I was going to buy a Metroamps kit from the USA, but I ended up buying a transformer set and chassis from Trinity amps in Toronto (I am friends with STephen the owner, and when I found he had a spare set I tricked him into letting me buy it ;) )

Just built it from the layout, its not a very difficult build as amps go - lots of room to work and not too many things to wire up.

My next project is to re-chassis and re board a Dr Z Stangray clone I bought - going to a small box chassis and flipping it from hanging chassis with the tubes down to a regular tubes up config.

AJC

just finished it today... sounds good :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I built it over a few weeks, working on it 1/2 hour to an hour or two at a time so I dont know exactly, but probably about 14 hours or so.

It wasnt a difficult build, the chassis is pretty roomy, and parts count is fairly low.

I think it took me as long to make and cover the head cab as it did to build the amp :)

AJC

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice little chassis holding jig! It must make life a lot easier when you're building.
YES! The amp cradle as it is called, was something I never would have thought of. SOmewhere on the internet, another similar design was found and I made up some with slight changes.

You can hold the chassis in any position from horizontal to vertical, and everywhere in between the 90 degree sweep. It was my first amp wired up with the chassis sitting at the ideal angle to see everything, and when sitting at the proper height while seated. Before, I used to sit the chassis on my lap or on the edge of the table sitting on the transformers... not great. I suggest anyone who is going to wire up amp chassis's to build one!

AJC

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Beautiful work!!

I'm surprized the under chassis shot doesn't look a lot "busier". That's almost do-able.
Love the tolex job with the gold piping. Flawless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That looks amazing. I'm the process of gathering parts for my second build. Maybe a BFPR A1164 I believe it is or an 18 Watter.

·
Premium Member
17,856 Posts
YES! The amp cradle as it is called, was something I never would have thought of. SOmewhere on the internet, another similar design was found and I made up some with slight changes.

You can hold the chassis in any position from horizontal to vertical, and everywhere in between the 90 degree sweep. It was my first amp wired up with the chassis sitting at the ideal angle to see everything, and when sitting at the proper height while seated. Before, I used to sit the chassis on my lap or on the edge of the table sitting on the transformers... not great. I suggest anyone who is going to wire up amp chassis's to build one!

AJC
Fantastic looking amp AJC...Congrats :food-smiley-004:

I posted a thread (quite a long time ago) asking what others used for amp cradles and got no responses....maybe just bad timing.

Would you consider making these as a another product in your proposed "line" of music related items?
What would you estimate the cost to be ?

Any chance of getting some idea of the genaral dimensions of your cradle?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That amp cradle is my take on a design that was put up on the Trinity Amps forum... you can get it from there, I think its in the resources forum... if you cant find it I can get the link.

The amp is pretty straight forward for sure... probably one of the easiest I have done so far out of the Trinity 18 sIII, TC15 and 15, 5E3 Deluxe, and Triwatt.

The tolexing is really the work of Stephen Cohrs of Trinity Amps... I have become pretty good friends with him and over the holidays I was down in Toronto - brought down the bare cab I built and he helped me cover it... or I helped him more truthfully.

He does AWESOME tolex work... I have two other head cabs and two speaker cabs I bought from him. I traded some work for his time to teach me how its done. Very time consuming work...

As for me, I have time right now - as I am working only part time untill I get my new shop under construction. I sold my woodshop and moved, so I am in limbo right now.

AJC

·
Registered
698 Posts
Beautiful work!!

I'm surprized the under chassis shot doesn't look a lot "busier". That's almost do-able.
Andrew's builds are always nice. His wiring inspired me to clean up my first couple of builds!

The old single channel 40-50w Marshalls (JTM45, Plexi, 2204) are all relatively straight-forward builds. The only thing that could be simpler is maybe a 50's Deluxe or a Champ. Even the 2-channel 18w isn't too bad really. When you start adding channels things get a little more hairy, and as I've just learned from my Deluxe Reverb build when you throw in reverb & vibrato it starts looking like spaghetti in there at first glance!

Andrew, have you thought about adding the "RR" mod to it? Basically cascading the two channels. Marshall built a few SL's that way (I'm guessing for Randy Rhoads in the early 80's based on the "name" of the mod, but that's purely speculation on my part). Similar to our cascaded 18w discussion on the Trinity forum...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Nice looking amp!!! I miss my JTM45, it's at the amp doctor's right now being converted from a reissue to a more accurate JTM (changing some caps and resistors, running KT66s, etc).

Do you know if Stephen can source/will sell just the board and electronics? I might want to one day drop a vintage-correct board in there.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure... you would have to contact him and ask.

I know he doesnt offer the JTM45 as a kit (he did a one off for me since I did some stuff for him, and I bugged him as well - basically cost me the same as a Metroamps kit minus tubes, but I wanted to keep my $$ here in Canada) but he does make up the turret boards and sources the components - he may very well do that for you but I dont want to speak for him.

Try the trinity forum, or email him directly. He is great to talk to.

AJC

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Andrew's builds are always nice. His wiring inspired me to clean up my first couple of builds!

The old single channel 40-50w Marshalls (JTM45, Plexi, 2204) are all relatively straight-forward builds. The only thing that could be simpler is maybe a 50's Deluxe or a Champ. Even the 2-channel 18w isn't too bad really. When you start adding channels things get a little more hairy, and as I've just learned from my Deluxe Reverb build when you throw in reverb & vibrato it starts looking like spaghetti in there at first glance!
"Inspired" is a good word alright.
With nothing but a 5F1 under my belt, I looked at the photos of the reverb you just finished and said "no way I can do that". The JTM45 didn't scare me. It's something I can work towards. I want to do another 5F1 first however,( maybe adding a tone control) and then a 5E3.

Thank you to both of you for the Inspiration

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lincoln,
Of all the amps I built so far, I would say this one is one of the easiest. To me, the number of wires isnt the hardest thing (just keep track on the layout where and what wires are in place as you go) its the working space.

The 5E3 deluxe is probably the easiest amo I have built in terms of wires... but the cramped chassis (relatively speaking) made it harder to see and wire up. If that makes sense...

I feel, if you get a good complete kit with good quality parts, top notch manual and layout - you can do it (assuming of course you work carefully and in a logical manner).

AJC

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
So how would this amp compare to the Trinity Triwatt for versatility (say,for classic rock)?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts