The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,974 Posts
Conrad Black is even better. He is either a walking thesaurus or actively uses one for all his writings.
I often find a new word to look up.
Don't agree with him all that often, but he's more eloquent than Rex with less frothing at the mouth. ;)
Black is very well read and he brings a long view of canadian history to his writing. He also brings a blunt commentary to matters that contemporary writers are afraid to touch. He does tend toward extranious bombastic locution and that may well be lost on many people to the extent that they don't get what he is saying or give up trying to figure it out. I think that too many $5.00 words is self indulgent and you have to write in a straight forward manner for maximum impact but without dumbing it down. Black does have good stuff though like when he referred to some snot faced bitch as having come "snorting out of the undergrow" on an issue.

I like Murphy as well. He is not afraid to call things as they are rather than adopt the woke "newspeak" of this brave new world that has such losers in it.

Tarek Fatah is another one who I like and he has recieved a few death threats for his literary efforts but did not back down.

I recall some prof from ryerson technical college saying that she was shocked at the fact that her journalism students knew absolutly nothing about history.

When the likes of Murphy and Black are gone I wonder who will replace them.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,974 Posts
I’m lookin to hire someone an the fuckin resumes I’m gettin is all from fuckers what can’t write worth shit and seem to have fake offshore degrees describing themselves as an LLP which means limited liability partnership not a fucking bachelors degree. These people are obviously the future of this country but they would have a better chance of getting hired if they applied to the government of roxy road.

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
news
two

There are multiple errors in that.
Yup. Two instead of tow. Such basic errors that a spell check would never catch. Didn’t see the other one. Good eye.

·
Premium Member
27,762 Posts
And now the embarrassing question: how many of you/us whined about "Why do we have to learn all this stuff?" throughout middle and high school and beyond? So many academic topics we thought were of no use to us, and should be replaced with something else...perhaps longer recess or spare periods. I was probably one of them as well.

We planted the seeds, and now we are harvesting the results.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
I’m lookin to hire someone an the fuckin resumes I’m gettin is all from fuckers what can’t write worth shit and seem to have fake offshore degrees describing themselves as an LLP which means limited liability partnership not a fucking bachelors degree. These people are obviously the future of this country but they would have a better chance of getting hired if they applied to the government of roxy road.

After my Master's I availed myself of the free employment service at the university. They offered resume and cover letter help, job search advice, etc.

One of the sections I had on my resume back then included skills or some such, and I had mentioned something about 'superior written communication skills'. When meeting with the counselor type person from that service she read that, rolled her eyes (she had obviously seen similar statements many times), and said "superior compared to who? What about Larry King? Are your written communication skills superior to his?" I have no idea why she chose Larry King, but she was obviously trying to make a point about people overestimating their skill level. My reply was "I've never read any of his writing but am betting I could give him a run for his money." She gave me a look that basically said 'give me a break you moron'. But as she was reading my mock cover letter she stopped about halfway through and said "ok yeah, you do write exceptionally well. So we don't have to worry about your cover letter and can focus on tweaking your resume." I got a bit of a laugh out of that after her Larry King challenge.

A month or two ago my PhD supervisor said "you write really, really well so it will be nice not to have to worry about the writing in your dissertation."

When it comes to more formal writing (ie. cover letters) and academic writing I considered myself good, but nothing special. I guess standards are a bit lower than I had thought. Reading the writing of many of my own students should have shown me that.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
Do teachers provide their lessons with 140 characters or less now?

Considering some of the shit my students have told me they were taught in high school English classes, I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were taught how to properly use emojis.

·
Premium Member
27,762 Posts
Considering some of the shit my students have told me they were taught in high school English classes, I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were taught how to properly use emojis.
This is why I keep harping about "the adolocentric society", and how the priorities and whims of youth are now centre-stage and considered to be the more legitimate aspiration. Youth don't have to learn to communicate like grownups; grownups are encouraged to communicate like youth, well into adulthood.

Expressing one's self is important in adolescence, as part of the path towards achieving a sense of self and identity. So, as insipid as all that poetry might be, it's an often necessary part of the growing pains of youth. But emphasis on expressing one's emotions in some written form, in the argot of the day, to the complete neglect of how to communicate in order to clarify for others, or acquire their thoughtful cooperation or independence, is what puts us where we are right now.

And yet once again, I refer to sociolinguist Basil Bernstein's distinction between "restricted" and "elaborated" codes of communication. The former relies on mutually-shared context and understanding, hence can be more informal, sloppier,and imprecise. "Want some?" "Nah" "You sure?" "Uh huh". Elaborated code is discourse that supplies enough information in clear form that it can stand on its own, without needing to have any or much shared understanding. Restricted code is what we use with peers and other in-groups, relied upon by youth to seperate their social group from others, and elaborated code is what one would find in a text and most journalism. There's nothing "wrong" with use of restricted code. The problem is that education has unwittingly coddled its use to the neglect of acquiring elaborated code skills. The people who grew up thinking that remaining an adolescent forever are now the generation in charge (many of them in their 40s and 50s) so they may not realize what they have cast adrift and robbed younger people of. Rap may be fun and appealing, but when one has to add "Know what I'm sayin'?", then clearly one is unable to communicate clearly to anyone BUT one's in-group.

It's not about pitting generation against generation, even though it may sound like that. It's about providing people with as complete a communicative toolbelt as possible. Flathead screwdrivers are great. Not just for turning flathead screws, but for opening paint cans, and many other tasks. So nothing against them. But if it's all you have, you will be limited in what you can accomplish.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts