The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
And considering how many people here look at newspapers each day, we will constantly have new fodder.
I seem to recall hearing, in high school, or perhaps college, that newspapers were written at a Grade 6 level. If there is truth to that, reading newpapers is not a way to enrich your word power (a nod there to Readers Digest, at least the boomer version that I grew up with).

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
I seem to recall hearing, in high school, or perhaps college, that newspapers were written at a Grade 6 level. If there is truth to that, reading newpapers is not a way to enrich your word power (a nod there to Readers Digest, at least the boomer version that I grew up with).

Some are. The Toronto Sun for example. Others are written at a higher level, but still one much lower than you would expect.

And while they will not enrich your word power, they will certainly provide fodder for the original purpose of this thread.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
If you ever get tired of the lack of eloquence in journalism, just pick up an article by Rex Murphy. You don't have to agree or even like it, but the writing will be a relief.
Conrad Black is even better. He is either a walking thesaurus or actively uses one for all his writings.
I often find a new word to look up.
Don't agree with him all that often, but he's more eloquent than Rex with less frothing at the mouth. ;)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Conrad Black is even better. He is either a walking thesaurus or actively uses one for all his writings.
I often find a new word to look up.
Don't agree with him all that often, but he's more eloquent than Rex with less frothing at the mouth. ;)
Oddly enough, I find Conrad tedious to read. His style is just a bit too "forced" for my taste. It rings as an elitist talking down to, or about people. Rex I find much more graceful

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,621 Posts
I used to enjoy Rex when he hosted Cross-Country Checkup on CBC radio...it took a while to warm up to his style but he can be entertaining.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
You know, if he still had the afro, I'd be all in. :D
I'd completely forgot about that. If I can keep that image in my mind, I think I'll have much more appreciation for his humour. I'm going to give him another shot.

·
Premium Member
27,752 Posts
If you like Murphy's sense of humour, I suggest you look up the late Ray Guy. Guy's columns reminded me a lot of Gregory Clark, who used to have columns in The Weekend Magazine that would accompany the Saturday paper back in the day. Wry, but friendly and gentle.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Oh isn't that cute, you're using words you don't understand in an attempt to appear erudite. You remind me of undergrads who make grand, sweeping statements in an attempt to come across as profound.

But at least there is hope for them. You? Not so much as the raw materials simply aren't there. After all, you can't make something out of nothing now can you? Maybe if there had been some lifeguards in your gene pool you might have had a chance.................................
How about you stop with the personal attacks? It’s not only childish, it’s contrary to forum policy.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
How about you stop with the personal attacks? It’s not only childish, it’s contrary to forum policy.

That post was a response to a completely uncalled for personal attack launched against me in another thread. I was having a discussion with someone else about something and that inbred little shit jumped in with a personal attack.

Being the bigger man, I did PM an admin to apologize for it and tell them to nuke my post if they wanted, but they didn't. The authorities had already been notified, so no need for you to play thread cop.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
That post was a response to a completely uncalled for personal attack launched against me in another thread. I was having a discussion with someone else about something and that inbred little shit jumped in with a personal attack.

Being the bigger man, I did PM an admin to apologize for it and tell them to nuke my post if they wanted, but they didn't. The authorities had already been notified, so no need for you to play thread cop.
I’d just like to see folks getting along. I agree my reaction didn’t help. Take care.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I have no regrets.
Colchar is a huge prick and POS.

I received at least 20 PM’s telling me how much people agreed with me and got a laugh.

too bad they don’t have the balls to put in here and maybe he’d get the hint.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts