The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
What if it was an English attack? At least the above lets us know who the subject is :)
That would be true IF it was an attack by England on France. Colchar's reasonable irritation concerns when "France" is being used as an adverb or adjective, rather than an object.

Do they even teach about adjectives and adverbs, definite and indefinite articles, and prepositions, in school anymore?

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
That would be true IF it was an attack by England on France. Colchar's reasonable irritation concerns when "France" is being used as an adverb or adjective, rather than an object.

Do they even teach about adjectives and adverbs, definite and indefinite articles, and prepositions, in school anymore?
ya, my 11 yr old is doing it now. but kids sleep through it. Cant say I blame them. they need to find a way to make it more interesting. its as interesting as catechism.
School House Rock to the rescue!

Reactions: laristotle

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
ya, my 11 yr old is doing it now. but kids sleep through it. Cant say I blame them. they need to find a way to make it more interesting. its as interesting as catechism.
Actually, it IS pretty interesting, just not to anyone that young. Our older son, now 35, is constantly fascinated by the very small grammatical/syntactic differences between English and Japanese. When I was in French immersion training for work, I learned much about my first language that had simply never dawned on me. An awful lot of "Ahhhhh, so THAT's why we....." took place. Indeed, you never understand your first language nearly so well as when you study another one as an adult.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts

I do when I teach first year academic writing. That class is boring as fuck, but necessary. Unfortunately I only ever reach one or two students, the rest are tuned out and oblivious.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
"Conjunction junction, what's your function?" has stuck with me since I was a kid.

They don't teach phonics any more but those were essential to me becoming such a good speller. Even now, if I pause over the spelling of a word I simply sound it out and I'm good. Well except for 'bureaucracy', I've never been able to spell that fucking word.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Actually, it IS pretty interesting, just not to anyone that young. Our older son, now 35, is constantly fascinated by the very small grammatical/syntactic differences between English and Japanese. When I was in French immersion training for work, I learned much about my first language that had simply never dawned on me. An awful lot of "Ahhhhh, so THAT's why we....." took place. Indeed, you never understand your first language nearly so well as when you study another one as an adult.

I'm certified to teach English as a second language. There is always a big difference between your L1, which is an acquired language, and your L2 (or L3, L4, etc.) which are learned languages.

There is no verb I can't use properly in a sentence, but it wasn't until I did the training for that certification that I realized there is a future perfect continuous tense of a verb. Even worse, I know the formula for forming it. And how many native English speakers know that there are three tenses for every verb, but that each of those tenses has four aspects thus meaning that there are, essentially, twelve possible tenses for every verb? In fact, it is often just shortened to twelve tenses rather than saying tense and aspect.

·
Premium Member
27,238 Posts
It is fine as it is merely a contraction similar to 'the US', 'America', 'the UK', 'Britain', etc.
The contractions you cite are all perfectly fine. But "Dominican" is an adjective. How can it stand alone? It is tantamount to calling the United States "American" as a contraction, instead of "America". Not trying to give you a hard time, just noting why I believe "Dominica" IS the proper term. Indeed, "The Dominican" tends to provoke the question "The Dominican what?".

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
The contractions you cite are all perfectly fine. But "Dominican" is an adjective. How can it stand alone? It is tantamount to calling the United States "American" as a contraction, instead of "America". Not trying to give you a hard time, just noting why I believe "Dominica" IS the proper term. Indeed, "The Dominican" tends to provoke the question "The Dominican what?".

Adjectives stand alone all the time - the young, the old, etc.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Its only going to get worse.
I occasionally visit a hiphop forum.
I could be wrong but I think they go through a lot of effort to write badly....sentences like "...Imma talmbout wypipo...".
But going forward, calling out that kind of pseudo-literacy will be a political faux-pas.
I’m not sure this is apples to apples… the email was from my bosses boss. And not just to me. It was to a few of us Front Line managers. I’d almost expect a “Hip-Hop Forum” to encourage slang. The source should dictate the feel of the correspondence. I guess I’m the crazy one expecting someone that many rungs above me to craft a professional email.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
I’m not sure this is apples to apples… the email was from my bosses boss. And not just to me. It was to a few of us Front Line managers. I’d almost expect a “Hip-Hop Forum” to encourage slang. The source should dictate the feel of the correspondence. I guess I’m the crazy one expecting someone that many rungs above me to craft a professional email.
Just for shits and giggles:

boss's (or boss' in the older form)
front line
hip-hop forum

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Just for shits and giggles:

boss's (or boss' in the older form)
front line
hip-hop forum
I’ll give you the “boss’s vs bosses” one. Not sure where I failed by capitalizing Front Line (as that’s my title) or Hip-Hop, again… title “proper name” of the genre.

61 - 80 of 156 Posts