The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Who ever does the captions at the bottom of the screen for my local TV station is poorly read.
You know the ones, it has the news stations logo and colour scheme and has type to say what city, or the reporter, the name of the person being interviewed or a catchy headline. It’s a bit of a joke.

While we’re on the subject… has anyone else noticed the new batch of reporters don’t use “T” anymore? They pronounce it as a “D”.

As in: “Impor-dand” WTF?!?!?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I just had an email from my bosses boss that was so devoid of any grammar, punctuation, or appropriate capital letters at the beginning, or used in the names of people in the email. They are in their 50’s. It’s complete laziness.
I was taught email protocol at my very first job I needed it daily. I’ve taken it with me. Flippant correspondence now is the norm.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm sure this is a part of it, but the other half is that news is all online these days, and in the rush to update things, aggregatror sites often pull an earlier draft vs the source publicatyion/agency which has already been updated. Like you can see the same article in The Star online and on Yahoo News, and only the Yahoo one will have the oiriginal typo - The Star has been corrected.
Cause nothing says “credibility” like: Hey, you’ll never guess what I read on Yahoo News!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Its only going to get worse.
I occasionally visit a hiphop forum.
I could be wrong but I think they go through a lot of effort to write badly....sentences like "...Imma talmbout wypipo...".
But going forward, calling out that kind of pseudo-literacy will be a political faux-pas.
I’m not sure this is apples to apples… the email was from my bosses boss. And not just to me. It was to a few of us Front Line managers. I’d almost expect a “Hip-Hop Forum” to encourage slang. The source should dictate the feel of the correspondence. I guess I’m the crazy one expecting someone that many rungs above me to craft a professional email.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just for shits and giggles:

boss's (or boss' in the older form)
front line
hip-hop forum
I’ll give you the “boss’s vs bosses” one. Not sure where I failed by capitalizing Front Line (as that’s my title) or Hip-Hop, again… title “proper name” of the genre.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It wasn't clear that 'Front Line' was a title. It came across as a description, which wouldn't be capitalized.

As for hip-hop do we capitalize rock, country, blues, etc.? Those names have become common nouns and as such are not capitalized.
I capitalize the genres. Pretty sure I write Rock ‘n Roll, Classical, Country. But, now you got me think’n. Maybe I don’t.

Wurdz is hard

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Literacy rate is the highest it’s ever been. As with all things the boomers on this site like to scream the sky is falling and things will never be as good as they were. They are wrong. A few anecdotal news tickers and dumb social media posts are not evidence of jack shit. And to be clear I’m not talking about OP I get what he is saying in a professional setting.

Same with violence, we live in the safest time in the history of the world yet the old timers would have you believe that BLM is coming for us all and it’s just not like it used to be. Right, it’s better actually.

View attachment 389465
I’m no Boomer… far from it, but I challenge the sliding scale the umbrella of “literacy” carries. Yes, a higher percent of the population can read if compared to “old times”. As someone who’s kids are literally ending their public school years, they (as a collective, not just my kids) cannot read and write as well as we (me and my peers) were expected to. The bar has been lowered.
So, yay!!! The “wealth” has been better distributed, but boo, it was done with less intensity, accuracy, care, attention to detail??

I’m not an educator, I cannot share studies or hard facts, I just see it slipping. And everyone seems OK with it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Every year I get to attend honours nights at local high schools to hand out an athletic/academic scholarship I’ve sponsored. I also have the pleasure of reading through many beautifully written applications beforehand. To me all I see is positivity, there are so many brilliant young minds with active interest in their education and advancement.

You guys paint a grim picture all the time of dumb lazy kids and how things are so much worse and I don’t see it all. I’m glad my children don’t have teachers with such a negative outlook and disdain for the minds they are SUPPOSED to be teaching and influencing.
I’m not trying to tell you that you (personally) don’t have an insight that fills you with hope. I haven’t.
We had to have correct spelling in word equations on a math test, my kids don’t get corrected on a “creative writing” assignment. They were only graded during the time dedicated to “spelling”.

We are what we experience I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts