The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
i have a theory about this. maybe it's wrong, but maybe not:

back in the day, there were proof readers. i only know about them, because my cousin was one. i don't remember now who she worked for, but when ever anyone wrote an article, it was passed to her for grammar, spelling and punctuation, sentence structure, etc. at some point, someone developed software to do this. of course the software isn't going to get it right all the time, it's not human, and can't make decisions the same way a person might.

some of you may notice a certain irony here. me of all people commenting on a thread about this subject. for the purpose of clarity, i do it deliberately. i always go back and check my spelling. it's rare to find a spelling mistake in my post.
i'm not a fan of capitol letters or punctuation, and let's be honest here - i've turned run-on sentences into an art form.
but my spelling is almost always good.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Well, copy editors were some of the first to go when papers strated losing the classified ad revenue.

Add in the use of internet stories prepped on phones with the need to be first to publish and you begin to have issues.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think people started noticing bad spelling & grammar in the mid-90s when things started to go online. Most errors these days aren't grammar or spelling, they're typos or substitutes that computer software either can't pick up or it subs in itself. AI is slowly fixing that.

But the majority of readers can get the gist of your meaning just using the first & last letters of most words.

Yio kiuw wkit I mien?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I'm not usually one to nitpick over grammar or spelling. Especially not in a text message or even a forum post. But if I see a news article with a typo in the headline, I can't help but think if they are that lazy with correcting simple spelling errors then how lazy are they with the reporting. A lot of online news articles these days seem to be clickbait. Even when it's an article about a serious event or issue I frequently get the impression it's being written by an unpaid intern who is basically copying and pasting from other articles found via a Google search.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Who ever does the captions at the bottom of the screen for my local TV station is poorly read.
You know the ones, it has the news stations logo and colour scheme and has type to say what city, or the reporter, the name of the person being interviewed or a catchy headline. It’s a bit of a joke.

While we’re on the subject… has anyone else noticed the new batch of reporters don’t use “T” anymore? They pronounce it as a “D”.

As in: “Impor-dand” WTF?!?!?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
We can read same flaws in Quebec most popular French newspaper...
As I do learn more English words and phrases in most popular French TV soaps these days...
Do you know that it is in office officers that write article headlines and cut texts ?
It says much !
I often get a better picture of a news after reading two newspapers : Is it the writer's or the editor's falt ?

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
While we’re on the subject… has anyone else noticed the new batch of reporters don’t use “T” anymore? They pronounce it as a “D”.

As in: “Impor-dand” WTF?!?!?
That's nothing - Maggs and I watched about an hour of the AMA's last night and didn't understand one word that Cardi B (the host) said.

·
Registered
275 Posts
proof reading has been done away with, it does not add value to the product and paying someone to perform this service cuts into the bottom line ... greed is the name of the game in todays modern society ... profit above everything else in most cases

1 - 20 of 162 Posts