The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there's anything like a JM Sig Two Rock type amp available within CAD 2000. A 50w head or combo would be fine. The main thing I'm looking for is clean headroom that works well with pedals.

Not looking to purchase right now. I wanna save up slowly for the next 10-12 months for the purchase. What options would I have?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Ceriatone maybe. It's a Dumble type thing.

Your most economical option would be John Mayer's other rig he used then: Fender Bandmaster head + pedals.

Realistically any blackface/silverface style Fender with a Dumble flavoured preamp pedal will get you there.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ceriatone maybe. It's a Dumble type thing.

Your most economical option would be John Mayer's other rig he used then: Fender Bandmaster head + pedals.

Realistically any blackface/silverface style Fender with a Dumble flavoured preamp pedal will get you there.
Thanks! I've heard of ceriatone, there won't be any opportunity to try this in Ontario huh? Would it be ok going in blind?

And honestly, I'm not actually after his exact tone, just the concept of it. The super clean headroom.. I know loads of other amps might be able to do this but I also want to tick off one of the biggest things on my bucket-list - owning a D style or Two Rock type amp. Something I'll keep forever and something that will always be my main gigging amp.

Hence the saving up for it and giving this purchase the weight it deserves. At least for me :)

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Thanks! I've heard of ceriatone, there won't be any opportunity to try this in Ontario huh? Would it be ok going in blind?

And honestly, I'm not actually after his exact tone, just the concept of it. The super clean headroom.. I know loads of other amps might be able to do this but I also want to tick off one of the biggest things on my bucket-list - owning a D style or Two Rock type amp. Something I'll keep forever and something that will always be my main gigging amp.

Hence the saving up for it and giving this purchase the weight it deserves. At least for me :)
Super clean headroom = Twin Reverb, or Showman. If you want real cheap headroom from a tube amp, look for any late 70s Fender ultralinear offerings. 70-135W of clean cleans from the Pro, Super, Twin, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I would also suggest an old fender. You can usually find blackface bandmasters for pretty cheap and can probably get the amp head and a dumbley pedal for <$1000 which leaves lots of room in your budget. (There's a 66 bandmaster that's for sale locally here for $800 that has been siting since end of February.)

Also lots of headroom depends how you're using it. Are you trying to play clean over a band or just lots of clean for at home use

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I would also suggest an old fender. You can usually find blackface bandmasters for pretty cheap and can probably get the amp head and a dumbley pedal for <$1000 which leaves lots of room in your budget. (There's a 66 bandmaster that's for sale locally here for $800 that has been siting since end of February.)

Also lots of headroom depends how you're using it. Are you trying to play clean over a band or just lots of clean for at home use
Many of the big name Dumble ODS users were fond of the Red Knob Twins as backline amps, which makes for another budget friendly option. I'd like to own one of those at some point myself actually.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh yeah I realize that that's definitely an option. It's just not the style of amp I'm looking. the D style or two rock style amp is pretty much a long gestating dream so it really is wish fulfillment as well as getting an amp that I'd keep forever. It's not the most logical thing yeah, but that's why I'm saving up for a year to be able to afford something I honestly thought I'd never ever have. I've grown up in the middle East and then India, so to now be in a place where I can actually possibly purchase a style of amp that SRV and Mayer used is pretty unreal. So yeah wish fulfillment :)

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Oh yeah I realize that that's definitely an option. It's just not the style of amp I'm looking. the D style or two rock style amp is pretty much a long gestating dream so it really is wish fulfillment as well as getting an amp that I'd keep forever. It's not the most logical thing yeah, but that's why I'm saving up for a year to be able to afford something I honestly thought I'd never ever have. I've grown up in the middle East and then India, so to now be in a place where I can actually possibly purchase a style of amp that SRV and Mayer used is pretty unreal. So yeah wish fulfillment :)
im pretty sure most two rock and d style amps are based on old fender amps anyway.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get the amp you're looking for, but saving for a year is boring, get some fun amps to try along the way. If you buy smart you don't generally lose much buying used gear, and may find something you like better along the way.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And getting the right speaker(s) is an equally important part of ‘your sound’.
I actually wanted to ask about that. I've never owned a head before, so i've never worked with a separate cab. I was wondering if you had any suggestions, 1x12, 2x12, kind of speaker. I'm actually gonna go home and learn more about cabs today. I don't even know what kind of cable connects an amp to a cab *shakes head.*

Gotta start somewhere I guess .

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I actually wanted to ask about that. I've never owned a head before, so i've never worked with a separate cab. I was wondering if you had any suggestions, 1x12, 2x12, kind of speaker. I'm actually gonna go home and learn more about cabs today. I don't even know what kind of cable connects an amp to a cab *shakes head.*

Gotta start somewhere I guess .
Just a speaker cable. Looks like a regular guitar cable but has thicker wire mostly.
As far as speakers it will depend on the type of amp usually, and is really just personal preference.
As far as size of cabs , again depends.

To help answer you, maybe give some insight for what your looking for as far as use.
I think I already mentioned it earlier but the things you are looking for can be very different depending on if you're an at home player or using it to jam/play with a band.

I would generally say a 212 is a good coverall for a cab.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Ceriatone has a range of amps in the dumble family. No store front to try one, you'd have to look 'used' for that. But highly respected amps (and pedals) from a guy famous for his customer service. Bang for the buck, your easiest path to something in that style of amp.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ceriatone has a range of amps in the dumble family. No store front to try one, you'd have to look 'used' for that. But highly respected amps (and pedals) from a guy famous for his customer service. Bang for the buck, your easiest path to something in that style of amp.
Yeah I've looked at the Joyful Music 50 which seems to be a two rock John Mayer clone-ish kind of thing. That's USD 1445 for the head which is in my budget, which is great! They also have the over tone series which is akin to the overdrive special which is really interesting too. Would you know anyone who's picked up a ceriatone dumble style amp?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I've played through a few Ceriatones, but never a dumble inspired model.

I just went to look at the one I considered a few years ago. It was their Overtone Lunchbox. Holy crap, have their prices ever gone up since I last looked. I think business been belly belly good for them.

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
Never say a piece of gear is a forever thing - it's awfully hard to hold that end of the bargain.

Reactions: tomee2

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I hear ya. I'd like to own a Dumble SSS clone at some point in time. Might build one some day.

FYI, other than the Texas Flood album, and later career live shows, SRV typically used a combination of 1964 Fender Vibroverbs and Super Reverbs. I was super excited when I got my Super and converted it to a Vibroverb.

Adulting isn't so bad sometimes. I just got my first almost-bucketlist amp the other week.

·
Administrator
16,699 Posts
For really cheap just try to find a Hot Rod Deluxe with a decent speaker in it. Takes pedals really well, lots of clean headroom, stay off the dirty channel. You don't need to buy it, but at least go and try one out.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For really cheap just try to find a Hot Rod Deluxe with a decent speaker in it. Takes pedals really well, lots of clean headroom, stay off the dirty channel. You don't need to buy it, but at least go and try one out.
Oh I've tried one. So the point of this whole thing isn't to do it cheap. Hence me starting to save so early. The main thing for me is to finally be able to afford a very very important bucket list amp and really understanding where my money is best spent to get the closest to that amp

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Oh I've tried one. So the point of this whole thing isn't to do it cheap. Hence me starting to save so early. The main thing for me is to finally be able to afford a very very important bucket list amp and really understanding where my money is best spent to get the closest to that amp
Ceriatone, Two-Rock, and Fuchs seem to be the go-to brands for Dumble style builds.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts