The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been offered a John Mayer signature Strat in a trade. Has the Big Dipper pickups still and the neck and back of the body are untouched. However here's the bad part.. A previous owner did a very poor and deep relic job on the front of the body. I know this torches the value and it will probably be easier to sell it as parts (pickups, neck, trem etc).

Just looking for people's advice on how much the value takes a hit.. The front of the body is really bad.. Lol

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
In today's market I wouldn't take that risk.

·
Super Moderator
15,759 Posts
If it's as bad as you say I'd go $500 and get the body refinished. It's a nice Strat.

There are a few members here who are more than capable of doing a great job on that guitar. Providing he hasn't gouged the hell out of the top that is.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Depends on the trade. The guitar has been severely devalued but may still be a good guitar. Even refinished it will be devalued, but if you want a Mayer Strat at a bargain price and don't care about the looks or refinishing, it may be a deal to you. Just don't count on resale value in the future.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
In a word, no.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Body is guaged. I'm not interested in keeping it. I know the pickups alone use to go for big money. I'm worried about the risk so probably passing on it.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
If you're not keeping it then, it's too risky and time consuming to bother with IMO. Take a pass....

Reactions: Alistair6

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Make sure the Big Dippers are genuine first... lots of fakes around
The real ones fetch stupid prices, at least 300$ US
The neck can get you about 600$ US
That's 1200$ CDN without the body, which you could probably have repainted

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
One thing I did notice when these came out in about 2005 is they were floating trem and Mayer played hard tail strats. I guess floating trems would sell better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure the Big Dippers are genuine first... lots of fakes around
The real ones fetch stupid prices, at least 300$ US
The neck can get you about 600$ US
That's 1200$ CDN without the body, which you could probably have repainted
I just sold a pair for $850

1 - 17 of 17 Posts