The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about your PBS affiliate, but there's a 90-minute special on Coltrane tonight in our (Ottawa/Kingston) zone fro 11:00-12:30. I'm setting the PVR, and you should too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
/avoid

Ugh, I can listen to Ornette Coleman and Sun Ra but for the life of me cannot listen to John Coltrane. The moment he starts biting on the reed (which he does in the first couple notes), I am out of there. Just nails on the chalkboard. It sucks because I love jazz and when I want to listen to it on the radio, the DJ thinks that jazz begins and ends with John Coltrane. Even worse is the saxophonists who try to copy John Coltrane.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
Each to his own. I really like Coltrane. And Charlie "Bird" Parker

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'm not as into his crazy wall-of-wail stuff he did later on, but he was a hell of a musician

·
Premium Member
25,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was an interesting special. The presence of Denzel Washington, reading Coltrane's own words, former Pres. Bill Clinton (who plays saxophone) waxing eloquent about 'Trane, and former Doors drummer John Densmore reminiscing about seeing 'Trane when he was younger, were a bit of a surprise.

I seem to recall that both Coltrane and Wes Montgomery were supposed to come to Montreal for Expo 67. Sadly, both died shortly before their scheduled gigs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It ends so swiftly it’s maddening.

Some of Wynton Marsalis’ lines are excellent, “That type of artistic achievement stays around. It’s mythic, because of the sacrifice involved, and it will remain mythic.”

Profound music and comments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts