The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Man, I love Joe's legacy and the Clash and all that, but I guess I'm one of those cats who doesn't get the whole celebrity endorsement guitar thing... especially dead celebs at that. I mean, it's not as if owning a Joe Strummer Tele is going to make me a better player - and it's certainly not going to confer on me the ability to perfectly mimic Joe's sound (even if I wanted to, which I don't - with all due respect).

For that matter, it's terribly ironic that a punk icon should become the inspiration for an extremely calculated commercial product which is contrived from the word go to look seriously aged and punked-out... the result is a flippant anti-punk gesture.

But hey, the guitar looks cool. I mean, I wouldn't buy a guitar insta-relic'ed anywhere near that heavily, even if it wasn't quite expensive. But sure, it looks cool... hell, Joe was cool.

Thanks for the link! Gonna send it to a Clash fan who also loves Teles.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah, and the stock stickers to show your individuality...Kind of ironic...Even more so when you remember that it's a guitar that's modeled after somebody else's.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel the same..I just figured it would be an interesting conversation piece.. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hey, that's cool. I find the whole thing kind of fascinating. Can't seem to find what they cost... anyone care to chime in and let me know? Just curious, is all.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
craptacular ad copy said:
To celebrate Strummer's fierce sense of individuality, Fender and acclaimed artist Shepard Fairey collaborated on the new guitar's limited edition Joe Strummer Telecaster customization kit, which includes stencils and stickers inspired by the custom designs Strummer decorated many of his instruments with. The kit comes in a classic 12 album cover featuring graphics by Fairey and photography by Bob Gruen and will accompany the first 1,500 guitars.

The legacy of Joe Strummer (1952-2002) continues to live on, grow louder and shake up the establishment with the release of the Joe Strummer Telecaster, modeled after the beat up and battle-hardened '66 Tele® he wielded as leader of the only band that matters seminal Brit punk commando unit the Clash.
i think i'm gonna puke:mad:
i'm increasingly of the opinion they had to wait until joe was dead to make this guitar. maybe they should have "celebrated his fierce individuality" by making a sticker with a picture of them feeding on joe's corpse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a nice guitar; though I'd rather just get a regular telecaster anyways. I agree with you guys about the whole owning an artist signature model, it's a bit of a waste of time, especially if you're trying to gain prestige as a band. People aren't going to notice you because you're playing some other artist's signature model, they're going to notice you for the music. It seems like a materialistic way to make it seem like you're a famous musician.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
well, i'm not exactly losing sleep over it (he types at 2:40 in the am, i work afternoons, really i do!). i just think that this is a pretty bad example of marketing over good taste. i'm not so mad that i don't own a fender ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts