The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,236 Posts
Can it be a 355 without a Varitone? I always thought the Variyone and stereo out was what distinguished the 335 from the 355. Or is there some other feature or features that make the difference?

·
Premium Member
27,236 Posts
Isn't that a 345?
The Varitone is found on 345s and 355s. Wikipedia indicates that stereo was common but not a consistent feature on either. I'm still a little unclear about the differences between the 345 and 355, but it appears there were no differences in design, merely cosmetics. Historically, one only tends to see pics of these models with Vibrolas, rather than Bigsby units but they were available with Bigsbys, as were 335s. I don't dispute that this particular model is a decent axe, but for me it should only get the 355 moniker if it has a Varitone.

·
Registered
662 Posts
He's basically a mediocre jam night guitar player turned gear whore. Its nauseating.
I’ve never understood the draw his playing has on people. I follow the guy on Instagram and I watch clips of his playing that he posts on there, but I’ve never heard anything jaw dropping, to me at least.

Seems like an okay guy, personality wise, but the mediocre jam night comment definitely resonates with me.

I see him playing so many different guitars that I don’t think it’s really even possible for him to have a “signature” guitar. Epiphone is just gonna keep slapping his name on whatever new model comes out.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
The Epi sig model guitars that I've seen (not many, but a few) have been quite nice guitars. It's good that he he helps push out some different specs and different models.

He's basically a mediocre jam night guitar player turned gear whore. Its nauseating.
And yet there he is selling out big shows and making a good living at it. He's doing something right, I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Difference of a 355 compared to a 335 is like the difference between an LP Standard and an LP Custom: slightly larger bound headstock with diamond inlay, bound ebony fretboard with larger block inlays (including the 1st fret inlay) and fancier 7 layer binding around the body.

I think the varitone/stereo stuff came and went, depending on years. Probably optional some of those years, as well.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I hope this was sarcastic. Whether you like or dislike his style and / or voice, no qualified musician can honestly say the he’s mediocre. Because if he's mediocre, we’re all gravel chompers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like 335 style guitars, I like ebony fretboards, I like black guitars, I like Joe Bonamassa (he mentioned, in an article I would link if I was internet savvy, that he overplays because he gets MORE negative comments if he lays back), I really don't like Bigsby's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts