The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of doing the move out to either BC or Alberta for a little while. I think the Ontario wages will pick up in time, but right now I am scraping by and it kinda sucks.

Does anyone have any online sources to look up job info?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I use www.workopolis.com and www.workingcalgaryjobs.com

There are lots of jobs in Calgary right now, but house prices are also very high.

In fact, in the engineering field right now, projects can't get off the ground because they can't find staff for them, nor office space to put them.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been kind of considering Edmonton because I have some family out there. According to them real estate prices are still decent there.

I have heard the real estate issue is a major downside to the Calgary "boom".

On the other side of that, I did drywall work for a few years though so I could likely fall back on that since they have no one to do that stuff hah.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I believe Edmonton has more jobs available than Calgary, but Edmonton's inflation rate is just slightly less than Calgary. Both are the top highest in Canada at the moment. Would your friends in Edmonton put you up while you're getting settled? That would sure help. Edmonton's also colder in the winter than Calgary, and Calgary has winter chinooks. Depends on what's most important to you, I guess. Either Edmonton or Calgary tho'... you'll get a job.
Calgary Terry's right... there are construction projects stalled, too, because they don't have the manpower to run what they need. The house across the street from me has been waiting for MONTHS in the middle of renos and landscaping because they have to 'wait in line' until people are available to do the work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts