The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped into Jim Soloway in the jazz guitar forum. He has been travelling and will be returning to Canada in early April. He told me (via PMs) that his tablet is not always very dependable for posting on forums.

I miss his posts and threads from the past and I admire his skills, both as a guitar player and builder.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I met him at one of the Vancouver guitar shows but at the time didn't know who he was until I saw his posts here.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
He's a fairly regular poster on TGP ,
I like Jim .
I had a few back and forths with him back when he was starting up his Soloway brand .
Last I heard on TGP he was asking about a good place for retirement in Canada.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Nanaimo was his last known address, I think. Or not, in case the NSA or CIA are watching.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
I couldn't get over his guitar playing pose. Played great, but I'm sure his guitar was all like, '#metoo'. Get this dude off of me.

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
He was actually looking for recommendations on areas to live. He posted it over on TGP and I suggested he ask here, seems logical to ask Canadians about Canada :) I haven't seen him post anything yet.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I couldn't get over his guitar playing pose. Played great, but I'm sure his guitar was all like, '#metoo'. Get this dude off of me.
The playing position has actually caused me a lot of grief over the years with some long term back problems. I learned to play this way when I was very young as a 10 year old playing on a full size archtop. I didn't have any one teaching me and it was a lot easier as a kid with a guitar that size reaching over the waist or the front bout than it was to reach over the back bout or the bottom of the guitar. That also meant that I was picking over the end of the neck or the neck pickup rather than the usual playing positions and I still do that to this day. I also play with my thumb behind the neck but with my wrist bent, a serious no no and the bent wrist pulls my body even further forward so that my head and most of the left side of my body are over the neck instead of being over the body. It works pretty well for me but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've tried really hard over the last few years to get my body to stay a little more upright. It's worked well enough to relieve the back issues but it's so ingrained after playing this way for 55 years that it seems like it's never going to change all that much.

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
The playing position has actually caused me a lot of grief over the years with some long term back problems. I learned to play this way when I was very young as a 10 year old playing on a full size archtop. I didn't have any one teaching me and it was a lot easier as a kid with a guitar that size reaching over the waist or the front bout than it was to reach over the back bout or the bottom of the guitar. That also meant that I was picking over the end of the neck or the neck pickup rather than the usual playing positions and I still do that to this day. I also play with my thumb behind the neck but with my wrist bent, a serious no no and the bent wrist pulls my body even further forward so that my head and most of the left side of my body are over the neck instead of being over the body. It works pretty well for me but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've tried really hard over the last few years to get my body to stay a little more upright. It's worked well enough to relieve the back issues but it's so ingrained after playing this way for 55 years that it seems like it's never going to change all that much.
Maybe the trick/solution lies in a different chair that allows for whatever playing posture you adopt to be easier on your back. You're obviously pretty handy with wood. Maybe the next thing you make should be an optimal chair. :)

When my wife gave birth to our first-born at the Victoria General Hospital, the birthing room had this $10,000 reconfigurable birthing bed that would allow you to labour in whatever position you could imagine. If you needed support to push leaning back at a 45-degree angle with one leg perpendicular to your body and the other one straight out, with your arms behind your head, you could do it. It was more a Transformer, than a bed! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bumped into Jim Soloway in the jazz guitar forum. He has been travelling and will be returning to Canada in early April. He told me (via PMs) that his tablet is not always very dependable for posting on forums.

I miss his posts and threads from the past and I admire his skills, both as a guitar player and builder.
I took lessons from Jim in 2018. Seems to be rolling ar0und Mexico with his wife Rebecca (sp?) I'm heading down there later this year. May try to see if I can find them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
He was in Nanaimo, 'cause that's where I now live, having come from the Toronto jazz scene to nanaimo where the music scene seems to be heavily 'bar'oriented. Not my idea of a great gig. However, there are some good musicians here and you can't beat it as a place to live, unless you are rich!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts