The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JHS angry charlie and Blues Driver in one pedal.

Boss JB-2 Angry Driver w/ JHS Angry Charlie and Boss BD-2 Circuit | Andertons

Here’s what Boss say about the JB-2 Angry Driver:
The Boss JB-2 ANGRY DRIVER is Boss’ first ever collaborative pedal, designed in conjunction with JHS pedals. This is a dual overdrive pedal taking circuits from two companies and combining it into one, incredibly versatile overdrive pedal. Capable of anything from boost to all out distortion, the JB-2 features more than enough gain on tap and with separate control over both circuits you get unbelievable control over your tone.

Inside the JB-2 you’ll find a modified Boss BD-2 gain circuit, Boss’ legendary overdrive in production for over 25 years and used by players all over the world and JHS’ now famous ANGRY CHARLIE high gain drive, modded and re-born into a new compact unit with three knob design.

What’s special? Well Inside, you get both circuits; complete with independent LEVEL, GAIN AND TONE, thanks to Boss’ Dual concentric pot design, controls over each and well as a ton of different options for running the two together. The pedal design has been created with versatility in mind to cater for all levels of gain with high gain and low noise. You also get a feature that Boss first introduced two decades ago – Remote switching. Using a Boss Latching Footswitch gives you options to switch gain circuits on the fly or even run them in SERIES and PARALLEL. With Remote switching you could even use your switching system to change circuits automatically.

A total of six special modes means that these two overdrives can run in variety of ways to suit your style and rig;

• JHS Mode – The standard pedal turns the unit on or off and engages the Angry Charlie Circuit. Adding the remote switch means you can switch between the AC and BD circuits remotely
  • BOSS Mode – The standard pedal turns the unit on and off and engages the BD-2 Circuit. Adding the remote switch means you can switch between BD and AC circuits remotely
  • JHS/BOSS Mode – The Pedal is always on. The standard Boss foot switch then switches between the BD and AC circuits – The remote switch works as your on and off pedal
  • J-B Mode – This runs the AC into the BD circuit. The standard Boss footswitch turns the unit on and off – Adding the remote switch switches between SERIES MODE and BD Mode
  • B-J – This runs the BD into the AC circuit. The standard Boss foot switch turns the unit on and off – the remote switches between SERIES MODE and AC Mode
  • PARALLEL – This runs both circuits in Parallel – This maintains the clarity of both circuits at the same time – the remote switch then drops out the BD circuits and gives you just the AC
Boss have also implemented different LED’s giving you Blue for Boss, Red for JHS and a special White LED when running both together making it easy for you to know what setting you are on. With a remote switch added and the six modes you basically get one of the most versatile drives on the market giving you 12 options and almost infinite possibilities.

The BD-2 gives you that legendary low gain tone, that can be used to push amps into sonic bliss and give you light, touch sensitive gain. While the Angry Charlie gives you full-on, high-gain, Plexi like tones.

All standard Boss compact features are implemented, battery powered, 9 volt input, high quality sound and legendary Boss build quality.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I'd like to try this one out, Boss is doing some really innovative stuff lately. I've really liked the Waza DM-2/BD /SOD. I'm looking forward to trying out this and the new chorus that is coming out.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Wow. I did not see this coming.
I don't think anyone did. Boss is not the sort to collaborate. Smells to me like something that came out of a chance NAMM meeting.

At the same time, Boss is kind of late to the two-drivers-in-one show. Well before this one there were a number of Visual Sound / Truetone pedals like the Jeykll and Hyde and VS-XO, the Analogman King of Tone, Way Huge Camel Toe, and plenty of others from various boutique folks. More recently, Chase Bliss introduced the Brothers, that has stackable drivers. Most of those, however, come in a larger form factor (Hammond 1590BB chassis or similar), while this preserves the classic small Boss footprint. The requirement to use an external footpedal to foot-select the drive sections is a bit of a nuisance, though.

I find it funny how they decided to use a colour scheme that is more reminiscent of JHS pedals than Boss.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Wow, this is crazy. I wonder why now and why JHS? They're a big company when it comes to boutique, but so are Keeley, Analogman, etc. so I wonder if Boss has put the feelers out before and been denied, or if this is just pure fortune?

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Wow, this is crazy. I wonder why now and why JHS? They're a big company when it comes to boutique, but so are Keeley, Analogman, etc. so I wonder if Boss has put the feelers out before and been denied, or if this is just pure fortune?
Do you think any of the guys you mentioned would say no to Boss? Genuinely wondering

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Do you think any of the guys you mentioned would say no to Boss? Genuinely wondering
Keeley might. He's got a reputation as being a bit of a dick afaik. But him and Analog Mike also built their companies on modding Boss pedals, so there's that.

It's hard to imagine anyone would say no to Boss because you're almost guaranteed to make money, but maybe they would see it as selling-out? Who knows. Also, there's the issue of copyrights and intellectual property. I wonder if Boss licensed out the JHS circuit to adopt to this platform, or if they had JHS create a new, slightly-different circuit and then bought the rights to it, etc.

If Boss wanted to control everything and own the IP, I could see lots of people balking at that.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I love the form factor so having to use an external f/s is a small price to pay for that.

Now hows about a combination SD1/Timmy?

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Taken from another poster on another forum, think of it what you will:

"For the family tree....

Marshall Blues Breaker
-- Analog Man King/Prince of Tone
-- etc.
-- MI Audio Crunch Box
---- Suhr Riot
---- Angry Charlie
---- etc.

The AC has one or two component value differences from the MI Audio Crunch Box."

1 - 20 of 44 Posts