The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2 hour video, but really informative on a lot of different topics - guitars, effects, amps, recording and the music business in general. There's part around the 1:43 mark where he demonstrates his speaker set up with a revolving mic. I thought that was kind of crazy at first, but I can't argue with the tones he was getting.

Here's a link to the pedal overview. I'm happy with my pedalboard, but I have to admit this makes the Line 6 HX Effects look pretty tempting.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow. Didn’t think I’d make it through the whole thing but it was so interesting. At the end with the mic gadget thingy- brilliant. And the Neil Young thing he does with the Tweeds? Amazing!

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
Watched about half of it. Jerry weaves an interesting story, and has a great sense of humour.

I was introduced to Zac Childs when I visited the Visual Sound (now Truetone) facility in 2009, just outside of Nashville proper. I'm not sure what his role is there, but he has his office on the 2nd floor of the unit.

Now I'm motivated to watch the second half.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The last half is where it gets interesting. He’s patented a moving microphone thingy that’s really cool

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
Thanks for prompting me to watch the second half. Very neat gadgets. He has more money to throw at it, and clearly better access to gear by virtue of where he lives, but we think alike. I always like to come up with ways to efficiently go from one sound to another, without getting bogged down in patching and re-patching. He makes great creative use of the EHX Freeze pedal, too. I was surprised at the really strong endorsement of the Canyon pedal. Not because it is a bad pedal, but because he has so much choice available to him in that city, that singling it out is a big compliment to it.

As the credits roll, you'll see that Dana Weaver is operating the camera. Dana's the guy who normally handles repairs and servicing of Truetone/Visual Sound gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts