The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had one of those old Dano doublenecks. It looked just like that. It was the most awkward thing I ever played, and I sold it for a profit over forty years ago. Haven't played a doubleneck since!

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
When our kids were infants, one of the songs I'd sing to them at bedtime was the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies, followed by the Flintstones theme.

I'm just glad neither of them grew up to be double-naught-spies.....at least that I know of.:rolleyes:

Absolute favourite line ever from the BH came from Jed: "That boy was such a liar, he had to get somebody else to call his dog".

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I went into the Salisbury House (restaurant franchise) in Steinbach
Did you ever get a chance to eat at any of the 'old' Sals? Seemed like they used to be on every corner in Wpg, many were open 24hr.
Sherbrook Sals was a fave, some of the Winnipegers here may remember. Old school lunch counter style with stools.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever get a chance to eat at any of the 'old' Sals? Seemed like they used to be on every corner in Wpg, many were open 24hr.
Sherbrook Sals was a fave, some of the Winnipegers here may remember. Old school lunch counter style with stools.
Absolutely. I took the train or bus from Ontario to Winnipeg every month as a teenager.

My aunt in St. Boniface let me do whatever I wanted, so I would roam the streets of Winnipeg at night. (Remember those days?) Being open at night was their claim to fame, IMO.

They have done a good job of maintaining the original vibe in the new restaurants.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Such a great show. Still makes me laugh. Only one of the classic lines...

Widow Fenwick: (buxom elderly millionaress who wants Jed to come in with her as a business partner on a real estate development venture she calls Honeymoon Lane) I need a partner who will come into Honeymoon Lane with me. I have the license, and I have the heavy equipment. Jed Clampett: Well, ma'am, them's the kinda things a man likes to find out fer himself.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
i think my favorite one was when jed was out front with the sharpening wheel and his axe. some rich lady is there, and she says "you know, my son was a champion at eaton."
and jed says, welllll doggy, jethro's a champion too. and the lady says "oh? what was he champion of?" and jed replied "eatin..."

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
When our kids were infants, one of the songs I'd sing to them at bedtime was the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies, followed by the Flintstones theme.

I'm just glad neither of them grew up to be double-naught-spies.....at least that I know of.:rolleyes:

Absolute favourite line ever from the BH came from Jed: "That boy was such a liar, he had to get somebody else to call his dog".
My department head owns the dobro that was played on that session with Flatt & Scruggs. I'll be playing it in a couple months

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
oh, and since no one else mentioned my favorite thing about the whole show, i will:

so many players i knew tried to learn that piece, and back then, it never occurred to us that it had been sped up.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
oh, and since no one else mentioned my favorite thing about the whole show, i will:

so many players i knew tried to learn that piece, and back then, it never occurred to us that it had been sped up.
T'was a page right out of the Les Paul production handbook. He'd record things playing them slowly, cutting them live to disc, and then speed up to play along with, getting a different pitch and envelope from the original sped-up recording. Frank Zappa did that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts